Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody know someone that does stock fitting in Northern California ? Read lots of posts in search.
Tons of good info there. I would just fumble my way through it.
Googled and nothing came up. New gun coming would like professionally done. Adj comb and buttstock.
Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
That seems to be an issue across the country.
The answer is ALWAYS to make sure the gun fits.
I have no doubt that's excellent advice.
After years I'm still fumbling.
HOWEVER.
Roland Oswald's book, "Stock Fitter's Bible" has valuable information on how to do the fumbling for yourself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That seems to be an issue across the country.
The answer is ALWAYS to make sure the gun fit.
I have no doubt that's excellent advice.
After years I'm still fumbling.
HOWEVER.
Roland Oswald's book, "Stock Fitter's Bible" has valuable information on how to do the fumbling for yourself.
I will second this suggestion.

It does say in the book to avoid skipping over parts and going straight to your problem. Definitely take this into consideration when reading.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Ken Genecco in Stockton, I have heard good things about him.
His shop was broken in to a couple of years back.
Haven't heard much about him since then.

Dale Tate at Camanche Hills Hunting Preserve & Sporting Clays.
He is an English trained Stock Builder and Gun Maker.

I haven't used either personally but have heard good things about both.

I would ask around the local Trap Shoots.

Lots of f0lks can alter a stock not everyone is a fitter.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m receiving a new shotgun so wanted to have it professionally fit. Thanks for the suggestions those aren’t to far from me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Adjust the comb and recoil pad so the gun comes up to your face without having to move your head, there's enough gap between your thumb and nose so it doesn't get wacked, and you see a slight gap between the beads. Then go out and shoot it for a bit before you get carried away with a fitting. JMHO

·
Registered
454 Posts
Adjust the comb and recoil pad so the gun comes up to your face without having to move your head, there's enough gap between your thumb and nose so it doesn't get wacked, and you see a slight gap between the beads. Then go out and shoot it for a bit before you get carried away with a fitting. JMHO
Ditto to this post, and to the Stock fitters bible. It would be different if you were having a gun made to fit you from one of the premium gun makers then all would be taken care of . You have an adjustable comb and butt pad set it up so you feel comfortable without too much head tilt and it feels good in your shoulder pocket. Stand in front of a mirror and see where your eye lines up relative to the rib. Fine tune from there . Take the gun out and pattern it. Adjust comb to get your desired POI. Could save yourself a few bucks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dale Tate at Camanche Hills in Ione.
http://www.camhills.com/Dale_Tate_link_2.pdf
I’ve been to him twice, with two different guns, and I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to him if I got another shotgun. It’s not cheap, but he’ll spend as much time as it takes to get it right. Then he’ll give you a lesson while you shoot the gun to check the fit. So it’s really a combination of stock fitting and instruction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts