Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck with having a stock bent. Did a search here and not much came up.
If you did who did you use to do it and how successful was it
Thanks

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I had my Beretta 687's stock bent by Allem's Guncraft, Zionsville, Pennsylvania. The net result was 5/16" of cast and it has held that bend for three years now.

Ed

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
Jim Greenwood - Agusta, Kansas

·
Registered
850 Posts
Had a fellow named Mike Orlen decrease the drop on a 1914 Fox several years ago. He did an excellent job at a fair price! I believe I still have his number if you are interested.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have a first cousin gunsmith/gunmaker that bends stocks. He told me how to do it via the infrared lamp method and I've done it to 2 of my SxS bird guns with oil finishes. Never marred the finish or the checkering. Other method is the Hot Oil method. I only know of the 2. I believe the more the figure (dense grain) in the wrist of the stock the harder the job. Using the infrared method it's amazing how pliable the buttstock gets and it may take a couple evolutions of bending to get the dimensions you desire as there is some spring back when the stock cools.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Hunt!ng is spot-on! Allems uses the hot oil method and cautioned me that dense, highly figured woods resist bending and that all wood will "relax" to some degree while cooling. Mine lost about an eighth of an inch of cast but the 5/16" of added cast that resulted was all I needed.

Ed

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Any wood can be bent using the steam box method. Boat builders use this method all the time. Only concern is, it may or may not screw up a finish. Build a box, and fixture, use clamps and wedges. Lots of ideas on the WEB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts