Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I mount the gun the beads are "lined up", even when done with both eyes closed. When I practice on the Terry Jordan wall chart I will occassionally note that after the "shot" the middle bead is slightly to the left of the muzzle bead.(about 1 bead diameter) Do I need a stock adjustment for cast? I have a stock adjuster with about 3/8" extra drop at the heel and and some toe out.
Thanks
AJ

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
AJ....... If your beads line up as you say they do, what you are noticing at the end of your shot sounds like "crossfiring", or, you are still moving the gun after the shot but have stopped your eyes from looking at the target which leads to a "disconnect" between your eyes and the gun.....Just my opinion.........Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Dan, maybe he's rolling the gun in his hands during the move with a weak hold on the gun? Not having the gun locked into the upper body would be my guess? Hap

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Hap- I started to write exactly what you wrote, but you did it first. Sometimes pulling a trigger will cause the hand to move in toward the face. You can see this by just sticking your arm out and moving your index finger as if it were pulling a trigger.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Hap- I started to write exactly what you wrote, but you did it first. Sometimes pulling a trigger will cause the hand to move in toward the face. You can see this by just sticking your arm out and moving your index finger as if it were pulling a trigger.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you may have hit it. Sometimes I do not press the right cheek into the stock as firmly as I do on other shots. Now is there anything else I can do to correct it except concretrate on my set-up more? Don't think it's crossfiring; I have a piece of tape on the left lens of my glasses to prevent that. Many thanks!
AJ

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
DocJim, if I were in your shoes, I'd pull that gun back into the shoulder with more authority. You control a shotgun with the trigger hand (bottom three fingers) by doing that even with a fitted to you stock! Couple that with a proper upper body move to intercept the clay and it breaks but you have to keep the stock in control. Much, much more important is a firm control if the stocks off a tad in the fit department, it will jump/twist on your shoulder. When shooting doubles that weak handed approach shows up really quick on trying to make the second shot. I'd guess some may perceive that as a crossfire when it isn't? Best of luck guy.

Hap

·
Registered
316 Posts
Doc, Not staying with the gun when the gun is on the move, is one of the most visible indicators of poor gunfit. If the gun fits properly and if you are not armshooting, it will be lined up at the end of the move. Your cast question cannot be answered fully without a good fitting analysis to see the wheres and whys of this problem. Just off the cuff, it sounds like a comb adjustment issue instead if a buttplate issue. Your buttplate insures comfort and solves drop at heel/toe out issues, and compensate for neck length. I wouldnt try to solve my alignment issues by cranking the plate. I would scoot the adjustable comb over a little to the right. If you do not have an adjustable comb, there are several of us who frequent this site that can take care of you in that regard. Yours in Shooting and Merry Christmas. Todd Nelson 256-762-6559cell

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
"not having the gun locked into the upper body" (aka "arm shooting") would be my guess also. If he has an adjustable comb, would moving the comb a little closer to the face help?

John C. Saubak

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.