Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
Guvment cheese, peanut butter, butter, pork chops, etc.? Used to be folks on “the dole” got commodities the guvment had bought to put a floor under prices. That’s why the USDA is the named agency in the “SNAP” ( welfare food ) program. It was often distributed from high school kitchens to the needy. My mother was head dietitian for our schools ( before the “unified school district” crap ) and was in charge of giving it to people. It was surprising which families got in the line every month. Some were expected but others put such a front up in the community that they were OK but in reality they were struggling. Of course, that was back in the day when being on welfare was an embarrassment instead of a generational success story.

Edit: not kitchen but pantry warehouse. Kind of the same place but separated by a short hallway in my town.

·
Registered
30,567 Posts
We had the great cheese pass out in the 1980’s. That is what I was referring to. In 1977, government started buying dairy products to support sagging dairy prices. After a couple years there was government warehoused bulging with powdered milk and cheese. It was given away to the public to get rid of it.

from wikipedia

“On December 22, 1981, Reagan signed and authorized into law that five hundred and sixty million pounds (250,000 metric tons) of cheese that the Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC) had been stockpiled should be released, saying that it would ...

"...be distributed free to the needy by nonprofit organizations." Ronald Reagan, in his official statement about the distribution of the Cheese Inventory of the Commodity Credit Corporation, said, "The 1981 farm bill I signed today will slow the rise in price support levels, but even under this bill, surpluses will continue to pile up. A total of more than 560 million pounds [250,000 t] of cheese has already been consigned to warehouses, so more distributions may be necessary as we continue our drive to root out waste in government and make the best possible use of our nation's resources."[4]

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
We had the great cheese pass out in the 1970’s. That is what I was referring to.
Between ‘70 and ‘73 I was busy earning a triggernometry degree in South East Asia so must have missed that one.

Reactions: Leo and nitro27man

·
Registered
30,567 Posts
Between ‘70 and ‘73 I was busy earning a triggernometry degree in South East Asia so must have missed that one.
I was off a decade, amended my post. What is it with this crap of getting old and forgetting things. I hate this.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You might have to explain your comment to people who do not remember the inference or where not born yet.
I remember my step mother bringing this home in the 70's but at the time didn't fully understand why. Today I know very well why, I knew we didn't have a lot but didn't fully understand how little we had at times.

·
Premium Member
11,144 Posts
At one time I was responsible for transporting the stuff -- literally by the carload. Amazing that the intended recipients knew exactly when the carload was due. Didn't take long before the stuff was on the street, for sale to whoever. Wasn't just cheese, either. Some of it was peanuts (remember Carter, the peanut farmer?). The peanuts were in jars of "whole peanuts". Couldn't give away any broken pieces.

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
Remember those days! As a kid my folks brought home Bolger(sp) mush, Campbell soups in a single serve can and some other stuff(1960's). My kids got the Reagan cheese, it was actually pretty good cheese compared to the stuff in the stores back then and even now. There were a few more items during that hand out but can't remember what they were. What I remember was, Reagan stepped in because the government was just going to throw it ALL out into the garbage dumps!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I remember my grandparents getting lots of that cheese in the '80s. I don't know how they qualified (retired from International Harvester and farmed) I think all retirees got some. I do remember it made the best homemade macaroni and cheese.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
I remember seeing people walking around with blocks of butter, cheese and large cans of peanut butter. No fricken spam though, would not make to the handouts in any case, as it would guarantee to disappear long before that ! LOL
Aloha

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Wife and I got ours. Gonna use it to replace either our fridge or washing machine or both. They work and all, but are old. Fridge is 15+ years old and the washer is freaking 40 years old! Them Maytags are like the Honda engines of the appliance world and just never quit!

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Sometime this year, we taxpayers will again receive another 'Economic Stimulus' payment.

This is indeed a very exciting program, and I'll explain it by using a Q & A format:

Q. What is an 'Economic Stimulus' payment ?

A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q.Where will the government get this money ?

A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money ?

A. Only a smidgen of it.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment ?

A. The plan is for you to use the money to purchase a ; high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China ?

A. Shut up.

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the U.S. Economy by spending your stimulus check wisely:

* If you spend the stimulus money at Wal-Mart, the money will ; go to China or Sri Lanka

* If you spend it on gasoline, your money will go to the Arabs.

* If you purchase a computer, it will go to India , Taiwan or ; China ...​

* If you purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to Mexico , Honduras and Guatemala ..

* If you buy an efficient car, it will go to Japan or Korea .

* If you purchase useless stuff, it will go to Taiwan .

* If you pay your credit cards off, or buy stock, it will go ; to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.

Instead, keep the money in America by:

1) Spending it at yard sales, or

2) Going to ball games, or

3) Spending it on prostitutes, or

4) Beer or

5) Tattoos.

(These are the only American businesses still operating in the U.S. )

Conclusion:

Go to a ball game with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a yard ; sale and drink beer all day !

No need to thank me, I'm just glad I could be of help!​

·
Premium Member
BT99
76 Posts
Direct deposit arrived this morning into the joint account.......$1200 I'll put aside to pay toward my 2020 taxes.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Got our gubment direct deposit this morning! Now if I could only get my December Trap&Field magazine!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts