Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a few flats of 12 ga Clevers, the 3 dr-stick in the chamber, while the 2/34 dr don't. The primers are very hard & it makes it difficult to open my SBT Infinity. Heads up on Clever's

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Bought a few flats of 12 ga Clevers, the 3 dr-stick in the chamber, while the 2/34 dr don't. The primers are very hard & it makes it difficult to open my SBT Infinity. Heads up on Clever's

Phil Berkowitz
my infinity had sticking hulls until I had the chamber polished. problem solved.

jack mc

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
i have shot several flats of 3 drammers in my Alfermann. a few have stuck, but 98% come out easily. make sure the chamber is clean and lubed. (something we usually overlook.....I have seen some pretty crusty chambers). they seem to shoot well, and the recoil is mild.......m

·
Registered
632 Posts
Your chambers are too tight. Suggest you have somebody polish them or slightly open them up. This is a common problem with U.S. Made SBT.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I have had no problems at all in my CG and I think the Clevers are a good clean burning shell.

·
Registered
870 Posts
had the same problem with Nobel Sports hanging in my Alfermann and Seitz and a few of the custom made guns.
The chambers are a little tighter in those guns. The STS's and Fed GM and Win. AA's never had a problem.

Mac

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My chamber is polished & its the only thing I clean on a regular basis. What do you lube a chamber with?

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
171 Posts
A good friend of mine's Devault has had the same trouble with AA and STS hulls. He sent it back and had the chamber worked on. It's better but he still has several stick and last Sunday when we shot registered it was getting rather annoying. He wouldn't dream of putting a steel headed hull in the gun.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
What's the point of having a very high dollar gun when you can't even shoot it without extra precautions to keep it working like it should to begin with?

Reactions: trap99

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I've never been able to shoot new steel based shells in my Ljutic. Every shell will stick. Cleaned and polished chamber or not. But, never stick on my reloads (AA's & STS'S) Strangely, I just purchased a Space Gun and it loves steel hulls as well as new AA's and STS"s. But sticks on my reloaded AA's and STS's. So, I adjusted the Dillon to factory spec's on the bases to about .806 on my AA's, and the Spolar kicks them all out with a .808 base regardless of what I run through it. But, regardless of what I do, the Spacegun still does not like my reloads. It may extract 1 of of 5 now. Maybe it needs a new extractor? Or perhaps, every gun is a little different, and has a sprit of it's own..

·
Registered
480 Posts
I demo'ed two Ljutic Mono guns yesterday at the Grand. I had a box of Nobel Sports. I ended up giving them back after 2 or 3 shots each. The Ljutics shot very well, but they hated the Nobel Sports.

Todd

·
Registered
632 Posts
The problem is that American SBT manufactures have a tendency to have zero tolerance in the chamber area. Chambers are tight and do not function well with the European steel hulled cases that expand at a different rate than brass. European makers like Perazzi and Batetta have had to deal with the steel cases for many years and have adjusted accordingly. SBT factors here in the U.S. Have not made the change.

There is an old story about Rolls-Royce. . Many years ago they bought a license from GM for the Hydro Matic transmission. They got the drawings built the transmission to zero tolerance and it would not work. This is the same situation we are having with SBT maker.

The SBT manufactures just need to open up their tolerance a little bit in the chamber and this problem will go away

T

·
Registered
193 Posts
Some steel case ammo gets stuck in my Ljutic. Nobel Sports and Winchester Super Targets almost always stick in the chamber so I have to use a wadknocker to remove the shells. Rio, Rem and federal steel case works fine though

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Some steel case ammo gets stuck in my Ljutic. Nobel Sports and Winchester Super Targets almost always stick in the chamber so I have to use a wadknocker to remove the shells. Rio, Rem and federal steel case works fine though
every thing works in my browning crossover and CG unsingle. neither one has ever failed to kick out the spent hull.
jack mc

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
So, is it the steel its self? Different expansion rates for the various steels used? Depending on the manufacturer? I haven't tried all the various steel hulls in my Ljutic, and maybe, as I recall when the cheap Federal's first came out they worked or ejected, they just smelled rotten. Maybe its just the European shells that don't work? I'll have to do a little test tomorrow with each brand America-vs-European, and see which works.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to the range this morning, wiped the chamber down with a dab of CLP, shot 2/34 dram Clever Mirages-they all extracted, but the primer hits looked much lighter than the hits on AA's , Gun Clubs & Winchester Super Targets.

Will try some 3 dr. Clever Mirages next

Its a pleasure to chuck the empties & not hear the Admiral complaining about the hulls I bring home.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
275 Posts
My K80s will not eject the Winchester steel hulls. I have to pry them out with another shotshell or leave the line. I just don't use them in my Krieghoffs. The Federal and Remington steel hulls don't present the same issue. I figure it is the cheaper or thinner steel in the Winchesters that makes it expand more when the shotshell is fired that makes it stick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts