Trapshooters Forum banner

Sterling Shotgun shells

9462 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  hambone0604
In these desperate times I picked up some Sterling Shotgun shells. Made in Turkey, I have some misgivings about them. Having the choice of shooting or not shooting I justified my purchase. Anyone heard of this brand.

Thanks,
Randall

P.S If I should up my insurance coverage please inform me
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Take them out and shoot them and then post up what you thought of them and how they preformed, after all that's what it's all about.

· Registered
155 Posts
I bought a flat, just to try them out. Actually performed very well. Cut one open, shot and wad look good. Powder is a flat square cut flake in pink. If they were price right and available I would shoot them.

· Registered
7,253 Posts
Here is the Sterling my youngest just came home with. I don't believe you can get a shot shell in it.

View attachment 1762857
That looks fun, but probably not on a trap field. It has been years since I have seen one. Is that a 9 X 19mm version? Are you able to get full capacity stick magazines for it? It is rumored that Sten magazines will work, but I don' know for sure.

· Registered
585 Posts
That looks fun, but probably not on a trap field. It has been years since I have seen one. Is that a 9 X 19mm version? Are you able to get full capacity stick magazines for it? It is rumored that Sten magazines will work, but I don' know for sure.
It didn’t come home with magazines, but we found some on Gun Broker. It is 9mm and the magazine holds 32. I’m pretty sure it’s never been fired (yet).

· Registered
2 Posts
I bought a case of the Sterling #8 birdshot rounds for my Citadel Warthog II semi auto, and these rounds have been nothing but problems. The rounds get stuck on ejection, and the feed can not bring up the new round cleanly. Just got back from the range trying to shoot the Sterling rounds again, and it jammed on each round I fired. Remington #8 cycles through just fine. After the range master looked at my shotgun, he said that it has to be that the Sterling rounds do not have enough FPS to cycle cleanly. The Remingtons are 1330 FPS, and the Sterling rounds are 1300. The manual for the shotgun says 1250 minimum FPS.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I bought a case of the Sterling #8 birdshot rounds for my Citadel Warthog II semi auto, and these rounds have been nothing but problems. The rounds get stuck on ejection, and the feed can not bring up the new round cleanly. Just got back from the range trying to shoot the Sterling rounds again, and it jammed on each round I fired. Remington #8 cycles through just fine. After the range master looked at my shotgun, he said that it has to be that the Sterling rounds do not have enough FPS to cycle cleanly. The Remingtons are 1330 FPS, and the Sterling rounds are 1300. The manual for the shotgun says 1250 minimum FPS.
More likely it is the steel base.

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have a friend who has a Mossberg 500 who does a lot of Pheasant and turkey shooting, and he is buying the remaining rounds off me. 9 rounds attempted out of the case of 250, 9 jams. I am over 80 rounds with the Remington ammo with no issues. My friend is going to bring over some other rounds for me to try, but you would think that the 30fps difference between the Sterling and the Remington would not make that much of a difference.

· Registered
36,900 Posts
Been on here 1 day, made two posts and you're calling a guy's gun a POS. Nice introduction. Your stay might be short.
Steve

You were right, looks like dasak37 got the attention of the guardian of the community.

Reactions: AAtrap
1 - 18 of 18 Posts