Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start shooting steel for doves this year. I want to reload steel.
Question #1 Can I convert my Mec 9000 H to load steel
#2 If I find a standard lead wad that holds 1 oz of steel can I use it
#3 If I do what are the potential results
#4 Where can I get reasonably priced steel wads
#5 Where can I get #7 steel shot
#6 Can I use Titegroup, 800X or Greendot for steel

I have read and looked at the steel wads and I do not get the difference. It appears the only diff is the shot cup capacities. If so then possibly 1 1/4 oz wad might hold 1 oz of steel. I do not know I have not checked it out yet.
Appreciate any help
Rick Shoop PA

·
Registered
29 Posts
You are heading into a world that is quite different from lead loading-nothing applies from lead to steel. Check with Dave Fackler at Ballistics Products-he has been working with steel loads for 20 plus years. He has all the stuff you will need. Do not try a wiches brew on these loads. Like all loads follow a proven load and do not alter it. You can buy a steel conversion for your MEC but if you load large shot it will bridge in the shot tube. Best to use a adjustable scoop to put the shot in. The difference in steel wads is in the wall thickness-more cusion to protect the barrel. Don't try to go cheap-you will be sorry.
Good luck
Dave Vice

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
Picking up wads to examine in a duck hunting area you will notice the added thickness. You will also notice how far into the wad the steel shot penetrates.

NO way would I load steel, but if I did I would make damn sure I did it right as outlined above.

HM

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you are so set on doing it then call Mec and ask them. They have a loader that is just for steel. They would be the best to ask. Steel does nothing but waste game because it does not kill the game. Just use lead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My buddy is a falconer. We shoot alot of small birds to feed his hawk and owl in the off season. We shot a good many doves during the season so we thought we would give the excess to the birds. If they ingest lead it will kill them so steel it is.
Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.