Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was invited to go dove hunting so he purchased a couple boxes of Winchester Super Target steel loads #7's for some extra ammo. He ended up not using these boxes. Is there any reason he couldn't use these boxes in his BT-99 for a couple practice rounds of trap?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Generally you don't shoot steel out of anything tighter than a modified, or maybe it was improved modified. Some of the tighter chokes are rated for steel shot, though. If it's an older model with a fixed choke then I wouldn't do it but if you can get a choke tube rated for steel shot then yes.

Honestly, I'd just save them for next season.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
IMO, shooting steel shot in trap guns, other than Winchester 1200/1300/1400 and older Remington 870's is not a good idea. When Olin operated the Jefferson Gun Club in Louisville, KY back in the 1960's, they used Winchester 1200 and 1400 shotguns as loaner guns and shot steel shot for years with no apparent issues. My late shooting partner was the lead instructor for Olin for about 10 years and he bought one of the 1200's when the enterprise shut down. That Winchester 1200 won many a "games" match and non-registered bird race and had a full choke that really held the pattern together. My understanding is that Model 12's, BT99's and most finer trap guns use a thinner steel in their barrels for balance purposes. Steel shot could hurt those barrels and chokes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If there is any doubt at all, walk away. The price for a box of shells vs that of a new gun, or worse, is definitely not worth the risk. Put them on the shelf and use them for hunting.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Go ahead and shoot them.

I shoot regularly at a club that is steel-only and aside from the lost velocity (from having a lighter mass than lead), which matters at caps, it is fine to use. The club moved to steel as part of a settlement that allowed the club to remain open and throwing targets.

Thicker, laced plastic wads protect the barrel and with the small shot size you can really use any choke you like (I tend to use a light full). I have personally and regularly shot both factory and steel reloads out of a Kolar, a Beretta, and Browning with zero issues. For the last ten years or more, guys at this club have been shooting steel out of everything from an 870 to an MX 2000 without incident.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I believe the Mod choke only idea came from the use of larger waterfowl type shot through tighter constrictions

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I think we'll just tuck the steel shot in the back of the ammo safe. Or better yet, I need to get out on another dove hunt!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts