Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is going duck hunting in the near future and asked me about using my Browning A5. Obviously he has to use steel shot. I amassuming the steel shot willruin the gun pretty quickly. What should he use? Should he just buy a different gun?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Travis

·
Registered
309 Posts
It is my understanding if the barrel does not say steelshot then use another gun. Also choke tubs will say with still its a differant choke all together. Say its marked MOD With steel its a full. With a fixed choke of full in an A5 you could damage the barrel.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I would buy some Bismuth Shot shells for occasional use in an older gun. Bismuth is softer than Hevishot and is effective. I have a Winchester Model 50 Full choke that my Dad bought in the 50's and there is no way I'm gonna shoot steel shot with that gun.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Environmetal makes special Hevi-Shot for older shotguns called Classic Doubles.

http://www.hevishot.com/products_doubles.html

I love Hevi-Shot, shot hundreds of rounds at ducks and geese over last few years. However, the way the prices have been going last year or so, I am going to look at the Hevi-Steel or Black Cloud when my supply runs low.

SW

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been using Kent tungsten Matrix in my A5 for a number of years now. #1 shot for geese, #5 shot for ducks. Its a bit pricey but it is the best shell I have found that is safe for classic shotguns.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
If your dad is going on his annual duck hunt just shoot small steel( Less then size 1 or 2) I bulged an 870 full choke after shooting about 4,000 rounds of T's and BB's. You have nothing to worry about. P.S What if you could bulge the barrel with a box of steel? What good is the gun if you can't use it for anything but shooting Pheasants? What else are you going to hunt with a Browning a-5 with a fixed full choke? if you are going to lay awake at night sweating about it just buy a box of bismuth or heavy shot for his duck hunting trip. Jeff

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Hevi-Shot, Rem HD, Fed. HiShok.....stay away from steel as it does not have the kinetic striking power of the aforementioned.

Curt

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Steel shot works fine on upland game. I would not hurt a thing in the A-5 if you stay away from the large BB type and bigger. Its great at waterfowl decoy ranges, but is not good for longer pass shooting. I used my fill choked 1100 with large shot goose hunting for years and now use it for trapshooting. No damage that I can see and it still is able to whack targets at the 27 when I put it on them.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
If you are worried about the hardness of steel don't use regular hevi-shot. It is harder than steel. I think hevishot does make a special soft shot for old guns similar to tungsten matrix. Tungsten matrix and bismuth are both soft and can be used out of old guns with standard lead chokes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Make sure you use Steel shot wads and data. It is a different ball game loading steel shot. I would assume he is going duck hunting, if so, Nice shot is an alternative. With Nice shot you may use lead wads and data. I shot a lot of steel through my old A-5 30" full with no damage.........Roger

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have shot a lot of steel in older guns.Browning,Mod 12,and Rem.

No problems.With the plastic wad I can't see where you would have a problem.
If you had the old cardboard wads this would be another story.

Bo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.