Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed up on post five recently to fill a squad because I'd rather have a full squad than a preferred starting post. Now after thinking about it, I liked it and trying to figure out why?

None of the hard rights seemed as fast or extreme. Nailed each straight away and anything in between.

The only thing I can think of is that I hadn't seen any other presentations prior to shooting the "tough post" so maybe I was more relaxed, focused and ready? Of importance and maybe it's the primary reason but the last five events I've shot, unlike any other before, I was not nervous or anxious. I can remember my legs being weak/shaking and my eyes darting all over the place last year but this year...nothing. Just load, close and shoot.

At any rate, it seems like post four is the most often preferd starting position so I'm curious if there's anyone else that prefers five and why?

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
I enjoyed starting post 5 for quite a while. I liked getting the two hardest posts out of the way first. I enjoyed looking at 4 targets before I got to shoot as well.

After time pasted. I started to sign up for post #1. Since I had a thing (fear) of starting there and having the whole squad watch me shoot first. I started there on purpose until I actually enjoyed shooting the #1 post. If you want to progress in any sport!!! You have to face your fears and go after them head on. Otherwise, you'll never reach your full potential in whatever you do. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It is my preferred starting post BECAUSE you need to have “your game face” on to start with....CONCENTRATE !!!.....then carry it on to post 1.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Post #5 has been my preferred post over the years mainly to get the hard rights and lefts out of the way first, then the rest seem to be so much easier. Don't get me wrong but, I've missed my share of quarter angle and straight away targets on the following 3 posts!

·
Registered
22,821 Posts
I can remember my legs being weak/shaking and my eyes darting all over the place last year but this year...nothing. Just load, close and shoot.
I like post 1. But that’s just because the walk from 5 to 1 takes too long for me to recover my breathing.

In your case there is a danger you’ll get complacent and end up blowing a shot or two. The old saying that “familiarity breeds contempt” is in full force. You’ll start feeling like “this is just too easy” and let down your concentration. Don’t do that until the 100 straights start happening. Then work on the 200 and personal long run.

Give yourself a pat on the back for learning something new but don’t break your arm doing the patting. HeH.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Shoot any all posts because if you end up in a shoot off you will be moved to the other side. Yes I prefer a post but it really makes shoot management fidget when you get into a shoot off from post three, " which way do we go?"

Al

·
What squad am I on?
8,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Give yourself a pat on the back for learning something new but don’t break your arm doing the patting. HeH.
Believe it or not you had a lot to do with that...you once told me it should become monotonous, almost boring but don't get complacent. That phrase stuck with me, and I think about it almost every time I step up to the line.
It's amazing really, the things that stick with us, stay in our mind...thank you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t mind starting on any post but 5 is definitely my preferred. I’m a lefty and 5 and 1 have always been posts where I feel confident that I can get some good hits under my belt and get the confidence up a bit on the first couple posts.

I think it helps to get the gun moving on the harder angles early as well. It forces a little extra concentration from the first target plus it loosens up the swing for the middle stations for me. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
22,821 Posts
Believe it or not you had a lot to do with that...you once told me it should become monotonous, almost boring but don't get complacent. That phrase stuck with me, and I think about it almost every time I step up to the line.
It's amazing really, the things that stick with us, stay in our mind...thank you.
The best shooters I know have mentioned that they almost hate shooting singles because to them it has become so easy that they spend a lot of energy in NOT letting down. But they shoot them and practice them because they are required to fully compete in the sport.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I shoot post one on singles and doubles. Post five always for caps. Hard to explain but it seems to work. Run 5 and 1 then miss two or three straightaways on the next three post!!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The last 3 years I have always started on post 5. If I run the first five it will be a good day, If I drop any I know I need a bigger shovel to dig out of the hole.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I like the randomness of any post. Keeps me on my toes and less likely to fall apart when life treats me unfairly.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Being a lefty, for the past 5-6 years i always start on 4. I got in my head that i needed to warm up to post 1 as i always had problems with hard lefts, but corrected that problem 2 years ago with my correct footing. Think i will start on post 1 as not afraid of it anymore!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I also prefer to start on post 5. Most times when I go to a shoot by myself, post 1 and 5 are the only ones available. I have shot my highest scores starting on 5. Maybe it forces me to concentrate harder.

·
What squad am I on?
8,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sometimes I've even been known to shoot other people's targets :whistle:.
Had a guy do that during the event that started this thread. I can see how it'd be easy to do but this guy wasn't even close, two guns out. Evidently in his world it was time 😆 sadly he missed his target. One little glitch is all it takes.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
My 100 straights I finished on post 5, and yikes my loan 99 I finished on post 5 with the loan miss (23rd bird) on post 5.
My first ever 50 straight (hdcp) was a post 3 start, shooting 10 per post. I got to listen in on shoot management trying to figure out if it was better to move me left or right for the shoot off. The coin flip put me on post 2. Where I finished my first 75 straight from.

But as when I shot I was just happy to get signed up. Any post is good at that point is good. After my first shoot off experience I stopped worrying about a preferred starting post. But post one has a certain draw.

Al

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Had a guy do that during the event that started this thread. I can see how it'd be easy to do but this guy wasn't even close, two guns out. Evidently in his world it was time 😆 sadly he missed his target. One little glitch is all it takes.
Shooting out of turn was how I managed to shoot 101 straight in a 100 target registered competition! I was awarded the BiStar 101 straight patch for that. Ask Doc Bombay :giggle:.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts