Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely unfamiliar with reloading, I am obviously familiar with how a shell works. Dont know a single thing in the reloading world. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on any equipment, ideas, resources, or ANYTHING! Anything is appreciated!

·
Registered
368 Posts
There are several re loaders MEC, RCBS, Lyman, Lee and more. Decide what you want to spend on a unit first look up models for each brand in your price range. Also decide how many rounds you want to make a year, all I can add is based on MEC.

A few hundred to a few thousand = MEC jr $200 or MEC 650 $350, thousands and thousands of shells = MEC grabber $470 or MEC 9000 $1200. You can save money by looking for a used unit when you decide what you want.

Yes you need reloading books but I think your looking for is what kind of re loader do I need and what is involved. A book would have never told me what is involved with each unit. You can also get re loading recipe's online.

Start with youtube videos to get ideas and see how to set up a unit. shotshell reloading - YouTube

I went with a MEC 650 and reload during the winter because there is not a lot to do when it is freezing cold outside. I save maybe $1 a box compared to the cheap loads that I can buy at Walmart or Dick's. But lately I have been able to get Rio, Federal's and Gun clubs on sale at Dick's with a $10 off of $50 (fill out a survey online after you buy something at Dicks, buy something cheap to get a sales receipt) so now I get a flat for $48 which includes tax. So sometimes reloading does not make sense.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Get a calculator. Figure out the cost of a reloaders, 5000 primers, 5000 wads, 16 pounds of powder, 400 pounds of shot and 500 hulls just to start. Add or subtract from the list as you see fit. Prices vary in different areas of the country but may be best if your club can order in bulk.
Determine how much you will shoot in a year and see if it is good for you.
Only you can make the decision. BTW, if you change your mind you could sell the components to someone who reloads at a slight loss. If you buy a new reloaded, not so much.
For casual shooting and short handicap I would just by cheap shells.

Good luck either way.
Mike

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
First you will need to read a manual on how it's done then figure what type of components you want. Loader, scale, etc. Then you need to buy in bulk for cost savings so you will need to get 5000 primers and wads. Or more depending on how much you plan to shoot. Go to the reload cost calculator and see how much shot and powder you will need to fill the 5000 shells. Hulls can be bought or picked up at the range. Now add everything up and tell me if your ass squeaks??? lol If you can afford everything and it's available buy it and don't look back.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I am completely unfamiliar with reloading, I am obviously familiar with how a shell works. Dont know a single thing in the reloading world. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on any equipment, ideas, resources, or ANYTHING! Anything is appreciated!
Why are you interested in starting to reload?

If your a casual/recreational shooter, Reloading is not much of a savings venture when compared to cheap ammo. But if your goal is to extend your shooting experience, partake of new enjoyable (atleast for me) hobby, customize your ammo or construct better bullets than cheap stuff, Reloading is for you.

Best way to get going and learn is to get acquainted with someone already Reloading, then watch and learn. Then buy a good Reloading Manual which will make more sense and read it. Videos available will further enhance your knowledge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why are you interested in starting to reload?

If your a casual/recreational shooter, Reloading is not much of a savings venture when compared to cheap ammo. But if your goal is to extend your shooting experience, partake of new enjoyable (atleast for me) hobby, customize your ammo or construct better bullets than cheap stuff, Reloading is for you.

Best way to get going and learn is to get acquainted with someone already Reloading, then watch and learn. Then buy a good Reloading Manual which will make more sense and read it. Videos available will further enhance your knowledge.
Wanting to start reloading all types of 12g shells from extra light loads to 1300 nickel plated for doves or sporting clays!

·
5,072 Posts
Before you spend a penny... ask around your club with folks you shoot with and borrow what you can first, from those who reload.

I never bought a Lyman book, borrowed a scale and used a buddy's loader at his place to learn...

Ask about costs and go in with both eyes open...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sheesh... MOST folks here are happy to help you out and don't badger "newbies". I'm sure you are well aware of how to, and already have researched on the net, and talked to others.
Don't bother with reloading if your only reason is to make shells that are a few bucks cheaper and you don't shoot much. As a hobby that goes hand in hand with shooting, and you have the initial investment, it can be rewarding.
MOST folks are willing to answer beginner's questions, or they will pass and go to a different thread.
Good luck.
KT

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Wanting to start reloading all types of 12g shells from extra light loads to 1300 nickel plated for doves or sporting clays!
If you want to experiment like that it's probably best to get a used mec jr. or any of the single stage press type that will resize your hulls. You'll probably want to pick up a different shot bars like 1 oz, 1 1/8 and maybe a 7/8 oz bar. One stage at a time will let you have complete control of each shell at each stage.

Something you should consider before moving on to anything expensive or automatic like a 9000 or a PW type which is best suited for large amounts of reloading instead of a box or 2 and probably best after you understand how to get a good crimp and the right components.

I have 2 used mec Jr. that I bought to use for all my hunting loads in 12 and 20 and it's very easy to change things out and switch for NP shot or some special loads for clays or extra heavy or light. Look for some used Mec's here. Buy the type that will resize the brass.

For some nice crimps and ease of loading, look up a few loads online like with www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun or with alliant Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide Use exactly what they are say to use and that's a pretty easy way of getting started.

Things to note. Fast powders like e3, titewad, Red Dot, are only for light loads like 7/8oz or 1 oz. loads and probably not a lot of 1 1/8 loads. don't try and use a fast powder for a heavy load. Slower powders like Green Dot, International, Unique, 800x, Longshot, etc. are best suited for heavier loads like 1 1/8 or more. Don't try using a slow powder for light loads.

Stuff like Blue Dot, or slower, is only good at 1 1/4 oz or heavier loads. You can't use Blue Dot at a 7/8 oz load or Longshot in a light under 1 1/8 oz load. It just doesn't work. Powders for 28 ga. or .410 won't work with most 12 ga. loads, so don't buy 20/28 and expect to use it for your 1 oz 12ga. Don't buy Steel if you don't want to load steel loads. Steel is different and has it's own set of needs if you want to load for shooting over water.

Faster is not really better if you don't need it. 1200fps or so develops the best patterns for the most part as opposed to 1500 fps. Besides, shot will slow down near the same velocity relatively quickly. At 45-60 yds, both will be about the same velocity and won't matter for target shooting as much as some think.

It helps to think of what payload you want to use 1st, what your needs are and at what velocity you want, then what hulls and powder, primer, you can get for reloading, and then find a recipe that matches. Figure out what you want, find a recipe and go from there. Non auto index will be easier to get going with and you can always get most of your money back from them.

Trying to come up with your own ideas is a big no no.. you'll get poor crimps, unusable reloads, and can get hurt. Be safe and don't feel like you have a dumb question.. We all started somewhere and it takes a little time to develop the experience. Good luck!

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
All very good prices, sales tax, no shipping

8 pound of powder will load ~3,ooo shells. So supplies to load 3000

$110 8 lbs Promo
$272 8 bags of shot
$51 3000 wads
$75 3000 primers
$38 sales tax
$538 Supplies for 3000 shells

But right now for $538 I can have delivered to my door, shipping and tax included,
2,700 Estates. or
2,450 Winchester Super-Targets.... an excellent shell.

$600 Minimum for a MEC 9000 and scale.
If you aren't loading enough to justify a MEC 9000, you aren't loading at an economic volume.

$600 will get you another
3,000 Estates, or
2,725 Super Targets

So you can have -
5,700 loaded factory shells, ~23 flats, ~228 boxes of factory ammo sitting on your shelf for what it cost to start loading.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Another thing for those contemplating starting to reload is just how long with will take you use 12 flats of ammo. New ammo can be bought a couple of flats at a time as you need it.

And better yet, the new ammo can be ordered on-line with a couple of clicks and it shows up at your house. You can't do that economically with all of your reloading supplies.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Another thing for those contemplating starting to reload is just how long with will take you use 12 flats of ammo. New ammo can be bought a couple of flats at a time as you need it.

And better yet, the new ammo can be ordered on-line with a couple of clicks and it shows up at your house. You can't do that economically with all of your reloading supplies.
I will say this once again. There is NO comparison between a quality reload and the cheap promo shells that you are comparing to!
Those cheap shells are crap. Probably just like your trap scores!
MG

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
I will say this once again. There is NO comparison between a quality reload and the cheap promo shells that you are comparing to!
Those cheap shells are crap. Probably just like your trap scores!
MG
Betcha they are better than what's loaded with your home-made shot

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Betcha they are better than what's loaded with your home-made shot
"LOL" I'll betcha $10,000 that your dead ass wrong. You can't buy shot any harder than what I'm making. My shot is harder, rounder and more uniform, than any of those "PROMO" shells you are using and I will pay for the testing to prove it, as long as you take my bet. I'll even go one better, I'll bet ya another $10,000 on a little contest. You with your "PROMO" shells against me with my reloads! 100 rounds from the 27 yard line.
Winner takes all! How about it? We're really quite tired of your BS!
Put your money where your mouth is,
MG

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
"LOL" I'll betcha $10,000 that your dead ass wrong. You can't buy shoot any harder than what I'm making. My shot is harder, rounder and more uniform, than any of those "PROMO" shells you are using and I will pay for the testing to prove it, as long as you take my bet. I'll even go one better, I'll bet ya another $10,000 on a little contest. You with your "PROMO" shells against me with my reloads! 100 rounds from the 27 yard line.
Winner takes all! How about it? We're really quite tired of your BS!
Put your money where your mouth is,
MG
I wouldn't mind having alittle of this action with old "Zoom Golly" if he doesn't mind alittle extended action.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts