Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to start going to compete in trap shooting and skeet shooting events but what would be a great starter over and under to start off with?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
There are very good deals out there for Browning Citori's or Beretta 68X guns.

I would look for a 30" O/U with interchangeable chokes so you can use for Trap and Skeet.

If possible shoot the gun and be sure you are comfortable or even ask an experienced shooter to help to see if the gun fits you well.

Either will take you as far as you want to go...

SW

·
5,229 Posts
Buy the best-quality used trap/sporting shotgun you can find/afford...

Jay

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A budget would get you some more appropriate recommendations. Without that, my entry would be a 3200.

RW

·
Registered
421 Posts
Brownings and Berettas feel much different but they are by far the best over/unders to start with. Try them and see which one feels best to you. DO NOT,UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES buy a cheaper off brand gun with the intent to make it work for trap. It will be the most expensive cheap gun you ever buy. The sad voice of experience.
John

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would go along with those who have suggested an older model Browning Citori Trap with Invector chokes. Will serve your purposes and nothing can go wrong with them that Skeet's Gun Shop can't fix! I can't speak to the Berretta as I have never owned one. Martinpicker

·
Registered
274 Posts
Go to a club that rents o/u's and shoot at least a box thru all the models you are considering.

there are many subtle differnces with all mentioned here, and what fits/works for others will not necessarily work for you.

My first o/u kicked like a mule, and i developed bigtime recoil anticipation...a bad habit that took a while to fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Go to a large state shoot or the Grand, shoot everything you can afford buy the one that fits. As stated above don't buy the cheap off brands and take the one you want to a gunsmith (before you buy it) I would have someone like Phil of Phillips gunsmithing or Doug Hubbard. Then follow their advice! TAKE YOUR TIME! your dream gun is out there, find it. Good LUCK

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Try many.don't be afraid of used perazzi, browning, Beretta shotguns...

More bang for your buck...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
A nice gun for a starter gun would be a Winchester Select Energy in 32" barrels. 30" barrels would also work. If you could find one with adjustable comb, it would be a bonus for shooting trap, clays and skeet.

If you are patient, you should find one for around $1,000 or less.

For a little under $3,000 new, you can get a gun like my current one, a Browning XS Special with high post rib. It has adjustable comb, and can be set up for all three games.

Danny

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Browning Citori or Beretta 680 series make perfect sense for a "starter O/U" both are very reliable. Not so hot for the 3200 from a reliabilty standpoint although they have great loc-time.

I've owned all three and lean towards the Beretta, but they may not be the one for you.

Surfer

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I started 3 years ago I bought a 682 Gold e and love it, but like they all say make sure it fits, has adjustable comb, added 3/8 to the rib height and it shoots awesome,dont go cheap or you wont like it.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Cabelas has a used but mint looking 30" Special Sporting Clays edition (high post rib) for $1299 at one of their stores...IMO its one of the best all around clay target guns out there and older originals in as good shape as this one are getting scarcer by the day..and for once they aren't gouging you pricewise

·
Banned
848 Posts
If you are not looking to spend a lot, Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I, Prevail I or Browning 725 (depending on which fits you better). If money is not an object, Perazzi MX8 (or 2008/8) custom built or Krieghoff K-80.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts