Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fallowed Stans work through the years as pioneer in shotgun barrel modification. Over boring - forcing cone lengthening -Choke tubes --Had one of his over bored Tm-1 tuned out to .745 --Just ran across one of his big bore single barrels, fitted to a browning lighting trap - adjustable rib -.800 bore -Isn't that just .005 smaller than a nine-gauge barrel? basically a barrel without a shell chamber? - Comes with four choke tubes. .780 - .770 - .760 - .750 tubes-Making the full choke larger than any of my cylinder barrels. -- my question is, would I need special wads to shoot a bore that big -- Or did Stan finally go over the top? Great piece of shotgun history, but at the seller price I would have to shoot it. Just looking for other big bore shooters input.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have fallowed Stans work through the years as pioneer in shotgun barrel modification. Over boring - forcing cone lengthening -Choke tubes --Had one of his over bored Tm-1 tuned out to .745 --Just ran across one of his big bore single barrels, fitted to a browning lighting trap - adjustable rib -.800 bore -Isn't that just .005 smaller than a nine-gauge barrel? basically a barrel without a shell chamber? - Comes with four choke tubes. .780 - .770 - .760 - .750 tubes-Making the full choke larger than any of my cylinder barrels. -- my question is, would I need special wads to shoot a bore that big -- Or did Stan finally go over the top? Great piece of shotgun history, but at the seller price I would have to shoot it. Just looking for other big bore shooters input.
Now that is interesting, out there , but I want to here more.

·
Premium Member
2,800 Posts
Years ago, I had one of his .800 Big Bores on my left handed Remington 1100. It would work well in New Jersey in the summertime with quality ammo, but would not work well in the wintertime especially with reloads using clay buster wads. They would not expand sufficiently to the bore diameter and were erratic performers.

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS w/ Wilkinson tuned barrel & PFS stock
142 Posts
How did you like the TM1 you had worked on?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you like the TM1 you had worked on. The increase from .724 to .745.=021 made it softer shooting and an understandable addition-With browning finally catching up twenty years later with a .744 bore on their 725's--.Stan had some great ideas but taking a Lighting trap which is a .723 bore and putting a .800 barrel on it is a big jump. that I am having a hard time getting my head around his thinking. Still would be a great piece of history.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is interesting to me. I have an MX10 that the seller told me was bored by Wilkinson and had 3 choke tubes. It throws a nice pattern for trap and I wouldn't want to change anything. But I don't know much about his work, I'm not even sure I'm spelling his name right. I was told it is a large bore.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
his is interesting to me. I have an MX10 that the seller told me was bored by Wilkinson and had 3 choke tubes. It throws a nice pattern for trap and I wouldn't want to change anything. But I don't know much about his work, I'm not even sure I'm spelling his name right. I was told it is a large bore.
Tom Wilkinson, I believe, was more of a barrel tuner vs. a barrel maker. A large bored Wilkinson barrel I seen went from a .736 bore to a .740 bore. Browning used the words over bore for their Invector plus barrels. When they increased their bore to .742. Then you have back bored barrels thrown out there, no one out there, that I can remember ever went to the extremes that Stan pushed, going from a factory .729 bore to a .800, a increase of .071

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I recall the Baker Big Bore causing a wording change in the ATA Rule Book, the bore was equivalent to a 10 ga, and the rule called for a 12 ga bore, they changed it to 12 ga chamber.

Pat

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Cold weather and big bore barrels don't work well according to Bill Cole. Bill told me this at OR. State shoot years ago at Cottage Grove, OR. According to Bill the bore was so large in the .800 barrels the wads wouldn't seal in cool and cold weather. Making sure the shells were kept warm helped but didn't fix the problem completely.
PDave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts