Stack height and 28ga STS | Trap Shooters Forum

Stack height and 28ga STS

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by 10Goal, Nov 4, 2018.

1. 10Goal

10Goal Banned User Banned

I'm rigging-up to load 28ga. I ran a few STS hulls last night using W209, 13.8 (weighed) charge of Universal, CB-1034 wad, and 3/4 (weighed) oz of #9 West Coast shot.

The stack height was clearly too tall. I tried lowering the wad ram, to the point the ram would snag a wad petal, so I don't think I can compensate for stack height with wad pressure. The wads have significant air-relief channels, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm loading on a P-W 800+.

Do I need a more dense powder? and any suggestions on which powder?

Thanks

2. 2skeet

2skeet Well-Known Member

Here's the recipe I use for my STS hulls I load on a 800B P/W 14grs of Universal W209 Pattern Control PC-28 Blue. .75oz #9
    Now with that being said I have had trouble with the STS sporting clay hulls. There just a tic shorter.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

You better start by weighing that WestCoast shot by volume rather then weight. That will help a whole bunch. Not much antimony in 9's but it will help. You are trying to stick 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack. We just covered this same situation the other day with the Winchester hs AA 28ga hull.

Setterman thanked this.
  4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you have quantities of these components, get the 11/16 oz shot bar. You will not notice a difference in target breaks. A bag of shot will go even further.

5. 10Goal

I have a butt-load of STS hulls and CB 1034 wads. I'd like to leave my machine loaded with W209 primers, and keep my velocity around 1200 :)

Hodgdon Longshot powder appears to be 25% more dense than Universal, and I have a partial bottle of Longshot I can experiment with :) Life is good.

I'll try a few rounds and report back in a day or two.

Thanks for all the input so far

6. aaaskeet

aaaskeet Member

10Goal
    I load the exact load you described above on an 800+ only instead of the CB wad I use a Remington wad. My results look like factory loads.

7. cbxchris

cbxchris Banned User Banned

The Remington wad will give you better results with your chosen powder. Longshot or 572 will cure your problems without changing the rest of your recipe. Around 14.5-15.0 grs of longhsot will yield 1200-1250 FPS depending on which end of that spread you go with.

8. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

9. 10Goal

Thanks for all the input - I appreciate it.

I loaded some STS with 14.0gr of Longshot and it looks like that powder will work just fine. I won't have a gun to shoot `em with for a few weeks.

Just for fun, I loaded some HS hulls with 14.6gr of Longshot and the stack height was way too low. I suspect Universal powder will fix that problem on the HS.

10. Geoff_L

Geoff_L Active Member

Has anyone noticed shorter hull life with Longshot in 28 ga STS hulls? I’ve seen comments about reduced hull life with Longshot in AA hulls. I’ve got a supply of Longshot but have been reluctant to use it in 28 ga.

11. cbxchris

cbxchris Banned User Banned

Honestly, I don't count how many times hulls have been used. They look bad, they get tossed. Since I left 20/28 I see no difference with Longshot or 572.

I have always liked the crack that LOUDSHOT gives. :)

Universal a lifetime ago was my go to until it became hard to get for a while. If you shoot under the lights there is no powder that smokes more than 20/28.......

Geoff_L thanked this.
  12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

With AAHS and 15 gr Longshot you'll get about 6-7 reloads before the petals start to crack. Been using it since it came out. Great dove and sporting powder.

Geoff_L thanked this.
  13. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

Sts hulls
    Sts hulls only last 1/2 as long as Winchester AA hs hulls at best? If hull life is your concern you have the wrong case in the first place. The STS hull ends used to get crunchy after just 4 reloads with Unique. Between that and Remingtons idea of case length looking like the sawtooth range, I gave up on STS a great many years ago. Great in 12ga but no so much in 28ga. It's sad... The factory STS 28ga skeet load of 9's is a Starling killing round and has always seemed a little lighter on recoil then the Winchester AA HS 28ga factory skeet round.

Geoff_L thanked this.