Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
I tried this, ONCE, and must I say, only ONCE. If money can't buy spreaders, I won't be shooting them.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Not a problem loading the PolyWad spreaders in the right press. Adds about 2 seconds per round loading time. A couple of flats a year is all the spreader loads I shoot, so not a big deal.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Pattern Control used to have a "POST WAD/SPREADER" with a post molded right into the wad. The post went in the shot drop tube without interference when you seat the wad. I used the last of mine up last year. I wonder if someone is making that kind of wad anymore?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Pattern Control used to have a "POST WAD/SPREADER" with a post molded right into the wad. The post went in the shot drop tube without interference when you seat the wad. I used the last of mine up last year. I wonder if someone is making that kind of wad anymore?
I thought that Downrange got the stuff from Pattern Control. I thought that they made them for a while but quit. They used to come in a bag with a bunch of different colors. Need to ask Downrange if they are planning on making them again. Since there is more plastic, I assume they would be higher in price.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use the Ballistic product spreader wasds. Seems to open up well with #8 or 8.5 shot in chokes greater than .015 constriction. An option for close targets in fixed choked barrels or if you're not a choke changer.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Like Bill, I used the Poly Wad spreaders for my first shot on early season Grouse/Woodcock. The trees were in full foliage and often you only saw a glimpse of the bird at a very close range. Shoot and listen for the sound of a bird hitting the ground or wings flapping on the ground, then start searching.

A lot of shots were within 10-20 yards.

Pat

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
My buddy bought a beautiful Browning BSS Sidelock, 20 ga, 28" M/F. He shot a couple rounds of skeet with spectacular hits but not very many of them. I loaded up 2 boxes of spreaders with 8.5 shot, he then shot 44/50.

Pat

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shot my first 100 straight at registered with one oz of reclaimed shot. I am a firm believer that it shoots as goood as new!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts