Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there’s many threads in this but I’m going to a sporting clay event and it’s to compete for money I’m in the high school division and I’ve shot clays forever but haven’t done sporting clays in awhile I’m shooting a beretta A300 sporting. What choke and shot size do you recommend as an all around? Thanks!

· Registered
2,246 Posts
I know there’s many threads in this but I’m going to a sporting clay event and it’s to compete for money I’m in the high school division and I’ve shot clays forever but haven’t done sporting clays in awhile I’m shooting a beretta A300 sporting. What choke and shot size do you recommend as an all around? Thanks!
modified choke and 71/2 shot

· Registered
13,490 Posts
Its impossible to say since I have no idea how difficult the course your shooting at, is set-up!!! I would bring at least a SK, IC, & Mod. chokes with you. If its a large shoot with more difficult targets (set-up for adult NSCA shooters?) then a IM and a Full choke could be needed as well? If your not sure about which choke to use on a given target. Its always best to use the tighter one. Since most shooters think targets are much closer than they really are!!!

PS. Use 7 1/2 size shot @ 1,200 fps for everything as well. Though, you may want something faster (1,250 fps) for shots 45 yards and beyond??? Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

· Banned
16,331 Posts
This site is primarily used by trap shooters. Some of them
crossover so you’ll have to sort the wheat from the chaff as far as advice goes.
Your best bet for this information would be to contact Tron.

Don’t be intimidated by his royal appearance and linguistic high handedness. He means well.
He might even refer to you as a troll. That is if he likes you.

· Registered
190 Posts
I believe we are more prone to over choke when unaware of the course layout. I would suggest a more open choke (possibly practice with a tighter choke). Try patterning different manufactures loads, and reload your own with various wads and shot sizes. You will be amazed at the variation of pattern sizes you will get with the same choke restriction. Did that with a 20 ga. 1100 IC choke tube and factory ammunition. It was like caring a double barrel afield. I believe Federal Field loads were the tightest pattern with 7 1/2. As stated, you are using an autoloader!

· Banned
2,714 Posts
This site is primarily used by trap shooters. Some of them
crossover so you’ll have to sort the wheat from the chaff as far as advice goes.
Your best bet for this information would be to contact Tron.
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

I shoot IC/IC in my double gun and there's nothing I've ever missed because of the choke.
Never ever?

· Registered
13,490 Posts
IC and 8s can do a lot of damage at SCTP level shoots.
I doubt you have shot at too many rabbit targets in Sporting Clay's??? They have a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch thickened edge all the way around the outside of this target. I have seen 3 holes in the inside of these targets, and they still did not break!!! It takes power and pellet energy to break these targets consistently. The same rabbit targets are used in most arcing targets at distance as well. I too used to think #8 shot was enough. I have learned the hard way, if you want to be consistent use 7 1/2 shot!!!
Granted you can get away with #8 shot on the other 4 different types of target though if there close enough. But the wise Sporting shooter will always use 7 1/2's on the rabbit targets at any distance. When I'm shooting the last thing I want to worry about it, is what choke and shot size in need for this station? I want to think about the shot presentation for that station!!! break em all jeff

· Banned
2,714 Posts
I doubt you have shot at too many rabbit targets in Sporting Clay's??? They have a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch thickened edge all the way around the outside of this target. I have seen 3 holes in the inside of these targets, and they still did not break!!! It takes power and pellet energy to break these targets consistently. The same rabbit targets are used in most arcing targets at distance as well. I too used to think #8 shot was enough. I have learned the hard way, if you want to be consistent use 7 1/2 shot!!!
Granted you can get away with #8 shot on the other 4 different types of target though if there close enough. But the wise Sporting shooter will always use 7 1/2's on the rabbit targets at any distance. When I'm shooting the last thing I want to worry about it, is what choke and shot size in need for this station? I want to think about the shot presentation for that station!!! break em all jeff
Yes, I have shot all manner of rabbits. Some as Rabbues, some as loopers, gravity droppers off a 60' tower and once and a while on the ground too, sometimes on edge.

Working on a knuckleball rabbit.

· Registered
211 Posts
Not sure where you are shooting, but at Cardinal Center which has National and state SCPT tourneys, as well as state and regional NSCA shoots; I would say the SCPT course set ups are generally a bit softer.
Maybe consider light mod for everything, except under 20 yards skeet.

· Registered
1,749 Posts
I shoot a lot of sporting clays, fun and serious. I do shoot a O/U but I use light mods most of the time, my go to load is a 1 oz 71/2 1150 Clever featherlight, the only time I ever change chokes is if we have a lot of on edge really long targets. This combination will work 99 % of the time. The lighter loads seem to pattern a little tighter.
Have fun enjoy, and good luck. Since you are shooting an auto you may want to use 1200 fps loads, you won't need anything heavier than that, The thing about payload, shot size and speed varies from shooter to shooter. The 6" between our ears sometimes gets in our way.

You cannot believe how many shooters who were max load shooters have converted to shooting the Featherlights after watching the effects of this load, and choke combination.

Buster

· Registered
407 Posts
Not sure where you are shooting, but at Cardinal Center which has National and state SCPT tourneys, as well as state and regional NSCA shoots; I would say the SCPT course set ups are generally a bit softer.
Maybe consider light mod for everything, except under 20 yards skeet.
I agree LM will break targets at a very long range. May want to shoot mostly 1oz. loads
and 1 1/8 on the long shots.

· Registered
2,436 Posts
If you only take one shot size to shoot Sporting Clays take #7-1/2 shot. #7-1/2 shot can break any target that #8 shot can break. #8 shot won't break some of the targets that #7-1/2 shot breaks.

A 1200 fps #7-1/2 pellet at 40 yards away hits harder and is going faster than a #8 pellet that starts out at 1200 fps.

If you have a SKT, L/M and a I/M chokes take them with you.

If the targets are on edge at 30 to 45 yards away and look similar to trap targets use a Mod or I/M choke. On many of the second shots on doubles I would much rather use a Mod or I/M chokes instead of a SKT or I/C choke.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
Bring all your chokes. Have 4 boxes of #8 @ 1145 f/s and 2 boxes of #7 1/2 @ 1300 f/s.
Anything close or showing belly the #8s. Far and/or on edge #7 1/2s.
Rabbits 7 1/2 unless close and broadside.

At each station choke for splitting the difference between the 2 targets.
Now if you have been shooting Sporting a lot and are doing well I would suggest choke for the far target.

Jason

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.