Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a Spolar reloader this past Summer and now just starting to use it allot. I am noticing my power (green dot)is everywhere. Just about every 10-15 shells I need to blow the powder off the turret. Is there an adjustment or maye a bushing to use to stop this annoying problem. Thanks for any suggestions.
Rod

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
There are rubber o-rings under the the piece that your bottles screw onto. If you have powder migration out of this area, you need to check/change this o-ring.

If its not from there, then chances are (especially this time of year) its a static charge holding some of the powder in your drop tube. Try putting a sheet of bounce in your powder bottle on the reloader.

Otherwise, the folks at Spolar offer excellent telephone support. Call Dixie and Carter and ask them what they think it is.

·
2,766 Posts
Is your measure real easy to turn to the on position or does it drag a little bit and "click" into the position to drop powder"

If it is too easy, it may be too loose. You might try just slightly tightening the screw just behind and slightly above the measure. Maybe an eighth of a turn and see if that stops the migration.

Or, just wait till Monday and call Carter or Dixie.

Bob

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
According to themanual, if you crank the handlefaster than 4 seconds per reload, you are going too fast. I find that when I go faster, I get powder everywhere. It's not migration, nor o-ring problems.

My reloader is brand new and has less than 1,000 reloads.

Whiz

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you run your Spolar too quickly on the up stroke the powder will drop while the drop tube is above the shell.....if you slow down a little bit(just a little bit)the powder will drop while the drop tube is still inside the shell.
Hope this helps.........as said previously......it has nothing to do with O-ring,or any other such stuff........just slow down a little bit.
D.P.Reynolds

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have the Spolar with hydraulic and have never used anything but Greendot. Never a flake out of the shell. Something is wrong. Call Dixie.

·
Registered
172 Posts
+1 to Whiz's comments. Try watching the hydraulic video on the site and try to match the timing. My Spolar was new to me a couple of weeks ago and I initially had that problem (using Red Dot). After trying to emulate the hydraulic pace, I no longer get flakes of powder all over, but I do have a liberal dusting of very fine particulates on the turret after a few boxes of shells. I can see the powder fines drifting like smoke. I'm not sure you can do anything about it other than wipe it off at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ms yuan,

I think that fine dust is graphite. I get it as well using Promo. Not a lot, but it is there.

Don Verna

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I slow down my stroke and problem went away. Very nice loader>
Yendor12

·
Banned
2,372 Posts
Good for you and thanks to Whiz. He darn well knows everything. Never a problem with my Spolar connected to a P/W hydraulic using Green Dot or Red Dot or Clays. Fred

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I trouble shot my spolar. Gave it to my kid even up for a used 366. He likes the spolar and I like the 366. Were both happy. I'm broker! LOL Bill

·
Registered
352 Posts
The problem is not the speed of the entire cycle, it is that the speed from the time the handle is straight up, (12 o'clock) to full back (2 o'clock) When people are moving the handle by hand, they have a tendency to go to fast in this area because the handle moves so easily during this portion of the cycle; they are jerking the powder drop tube out of the hull while the powder is still dropping, and dealing with the law of gravity.

We are always happy to answer any questions for Spolar owners. When we are not in the office at our 800 number, we usually leave our cell phone number so you can contact us for the correct answer any time.
Dicksie Spolar
Spolar Power Load, Inc
800-227-9667

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.