Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I received a lot of great replies to my questions about mounting the Spolar Gold, space requirements etc. I appreciate everyone who helped.

I made the call this morning and placed my order with Cole at Spolar. He projects my build to begin the 3rd week of May.

I recently retired after 20 years in the Army, and an additional 22 years as a DoD civilian. My watch is over; sleeping better at night and let the dogs determine when we get up.

Thanks again to everyone who helped on the earlier thread!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Did your order a drive for it? If not I would buy an Ergo handle from Inline fabrications. That ball on the factory handle is hard on the hand if you do much loading. I used the roller handle from a Dillon 1050 (had to drill a hole and machine a flat) and it made a huge difference in comfort.

·
2,766 Posts
You are gonna love your new Spolar. I sold mine two years ago when I was so far down I just couldn't shoot anymore. I'm feeling better, and if I have a renewal, I might buy another one.

You're gonna love dealing with the company, too, especially Dixie.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I emphatically do NOT recommend the ergo handle unless Dan has redesigned the mounting perch. The OE handle has a flat milled into the bar. This flat allows the large handle retaining bolt to mate snugly against the flat surface. Without this flat the face of the hex bolt only contacts the handle on its radius at 12 & 6 o'clock. This condition also causes the hex bolt to protrude while granted the protrusion may only be cosmetic but it manifests the unseen contact problem.
Ultimately I circle filed both bars & went with Spolar's hydraulics.
IMG_5037.JPG The Spolar OE handle is on the left.

C.JPG OE handle installed w/bolt flush. D.JPG Ergo installed bolt not flush.

Some may say this doesn't matter but I'd ask why then does Spolar take the extra step to mill the flat. I'm usually a big fan of Inlines product this handle has been my only disappointment.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks gents - I ordered 28 and 16 dies. Cole said they sell one 16 ga per year on the average. I ordered the new roller handle (not on their website yet) because I like the roller on my Dillon. I remember the difference the shovel handle made on one of my old PWs.
V/r
Maxey

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Thanks gents - I ordered 28 and 16 dies. Cole said they sell one 16 ga per year on the average. I ordered the new roller handle (not on their website yet) because I like the roller on my Dillon. I remember the difference the shovel handle made on one of my old PWs.
V/r
Maxey
That's good news I was not aware that spolar now offers a roll handle accessory. :1: Congrats on your acquisition. your in for a lot of pleasurable reloading.

·
Registered
302 Posts
my ergo handle from inline fabrications DOES include that milled portion. the screw is flush. Did you contact Dan and see if he would fix it? perhaps they just forgot that step?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I like my Spolar machine but I sure wish Spolar would keep their website updated. I did not know they have a roller handle. The new dies and neck expander are also not on the website.
believe it or not, I know of someone who decided NOT to buy strictly because of their website. he said based on their website it he didn't feel like it was a legitimate company. this was a younger person, so in their mind the website IS the company.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They went over the upgrade options with me when I ordered mine. Ended up adding the LED halo lights, roller handle, upgraded dies for steel base, primer cup, and magnetic shell holder. Also got the hydraulic plate with the intention of adding the compressor/pedal down the road (wanted to set the machine up once without having to remount it when upgrading to hydro. Really like the roller handle and may not go the hydraulic route. The way it lets me feel the mechanics operating has saved me on several occasions b/c I am able to stop the stroke and fix the problem vs. getting a crushed shell or damaged machine.

Enjoy the machine and make sure to keep it spotless - just one bb in the primer track will cause a world of trouble.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You won't be sorry, I've had mine since '03 and not a minutes trouble. It's a pleasure to reload on it. I am interested in the LED halo lights, please post a pic when you get it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts