Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Spolar reloader after reading all the positive comments on here about
them. Let me just say this machine is an excellent example of a high quality American tool.
Even the boxes and packaging it was shipped in shows the amount of thought and design that has
went into this reloader.
My previous reloader was a Hornady 366. It is a nice machine and does a decent job loading shells. But it doesn't begin to compare to the Spolar. I do not mind spending a premium on something if it is worthy of a premium price, and the Spolar is worthy of the premium price. Yes it is over $2000 for a machine to load shells when you can get other loader for half that. You can also go to Harbor Freight and buy tools that will do the same thing as Snap-on tools, but I know which I would prefer to use.
Anyway, just wanted to compliment Spolar on a job well done and look forward to enjoying this
loader for many years!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Congratulations !!! You for sure will never have buyers remorse. If you enjoy reloading - recouping your investment is not a factor. But, if you use the loader for 10 years and sell it in proper maintained condition - you will for sure have had the pleasure of knowing about re-sale value. Welcome to Spolar and the best customer service family there is on the planet. GOOD FOR YOU !!!! Regards ES

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have had a spolar for years and even when I purchased mine they were higher then others. I happen to get mine used but mint and then spent time finding the pump and turrets (also used) and mint. I spent on used what I could have purchased a new PC or mec with auto drive for. That said I have used all of them and even used at more then other used, it is still a top (if not the top imo) unit and worth the money

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I am not looking for any type of confirmation about my choice. I just wanted to give compliments
To Spolar about making a top quality USA item. It is nice to see a small business excel in their manufacturing.
I am no machinist, but have spent enough time on a lathe to appreciate the machining that went into a Spolar reloader.
They are built extremely well, no corners were cut to cheapen cost. I talked to Dixsie on the phone when I ordered it and she was very pleasant, answered all my questions and was very helpful. I have no intentions of adding the hydraulic system anytime soon, bench space and cost have that on hold for now.

·
Trump2020
841 Posts
Now factor the cost of the machine into how much your reloading costs are. How many years will it take to break even? Just stirring the pot on another dull day.:1augen68:
I load .410 and 28ga on my Spolar, the break even point was passed a loooooong time ago. The enjoyment of a quality American Made machine is worth the cost of ownership in my opinion. Yes I Know MEC and PW are also made here.

·
Supporting Vendor
6,156 Posts
If you want to improve a really great machine add my PYREX powder reservoir. The PYREX glass tube will never discolor and it will eliminate any problem with static.

Reactions: lightning20ga

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Now factor the cost of the machine into how much your reloading costs are. How many years will it take to break even? Just stirring the pot on another dull day.:1augen68:
According to the Lost Target Reloading Calculator, my 410 reloads are $3.16/box, and my 28 ga reloads are $3.50/box.

Loading 80 boxes of 410 a year (40 registered, 40 practice) at $9.00 factory, is saving me $467.20

Loading 60 boxes of 28 ga a year (40 registered, 20 practice) at $9.00 factory, is saving me $330.00

Loading 80 boxes of 3/4 12 ga for practice at $3.65 box instead of at least $7.00 factory, is saving me
$265.00

Loading 80 boxes of standard 20 ga at $3.90 instead of $6.00 factory , is saving me
$168.00

So the Spolar is saving me $1230.20 per year.

Won't take long to have it paid off. I have about $4000 invested, bought the press and 4 gauge set used, added a new PW drive. I had MEC 9000s before, and they did a great job, but I decided to switch. Mostly because I was tired of problems with the 410 collet.

Your experience may vary!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm one of those who doesn't care about my cost, the enjoyment of reloading on this machine is a pleasure. Not trying to convince anyone of anything, still upgrading and just added the .28 gauge (thanks Tony), now need the LED light for it and will be set. So far, the 28 gauge has been the most enjoyable to reload.
Jamie

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm one of those who doesn't care about my cost, the enjoyment of reloading on this machine is a pleasure. Not trying to convince anyone of anything, still upgrading and just added the .28 gauge (thanks Tony), now need the LED light for it and will be set. So far, the 28 gauge has been the most enjoyable to reload.
Jamie
Jamie, you're right. It's the enjoyment rather than the cost that counts in this hobby. Taken to the highest level, we could all save a lot of money if we didn't shoot at all. There would be no cost for guns, club memberships, targets, shooting accessories, travel, reloaders, etc. Same with golf, car racing, flying, sailing, and many other hobbies. We do these things because we LIKE them, not to save money. Otherwise it would lead to a rather dull life. Playing the game of saving a few buck here and there is fun but totally unimportant in the big picture.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts