Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Spolar will occasionally move the charge bar roller cam so that it doesn't activate the pin that engages the electric motor. This will happen for a couple hundred rounds then seemingly disappear. The machine is clean and properly lubed but this problem has me puzzled - and I have even installed a new pin and roller cam with no avail. Any ideas?

Engineering Gas Machine Composite material Metal

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My Spolar did the same thing. I wrestled with the issue for quite a while.
After speaking with Cole at Spolar, he had me loosen the two bolts on the top plate, re-align the plate and firmly tighten the bolts, small one first. This solved the problem.
John

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does the plate realign with? Some kind of measurement or?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Your roller/pin isn't connected properly.
Look at my picture, that's how it should look.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
What does the plate realign with? Some kind of measurement or?
Just loosen the bolts and make sure it’s slid completely to the right. Then tighten everything back up.
when the top plate is out or slightly loose, it forces the roller ball away from the cam, which pushes the roller away from the primer vibrate switch.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I can understand the alignment problem,but also,after a lot of pin pulls and operation,the ball on the pin can sink lower
into the pin and also the charge bar roller can get worn.I took a Harbor Freight,Lynch pin and welded the pull ring to a fixed open position and cut the shaft to length and drilled a hole,in the shaft end.I then put a hairpin clip to hold the shaft
in place.This makes the shaft very easy to pull and the easy hair pin clip comes put with out much effort.When you get a floating charge bar cam and roller,you won't know when this happens,as it cost me around 75 rounds as I didn't notice that this was happening,at the time,it pays to look around every once in awhile,but you can't watch everything,especially,running a powered device?

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
I just replaced the pin and roller on my Spolar . The OEM one lasted for over 550,000 reloads . My bolts were still tight . The spring behind the check ball had weakened to the point the check ball was barely protruding out of the pin . I also thought about a bolt through the roller but that would make removing the roller and the charge bar a little more tedious ....

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yepp,KS-OKIE,the pin and roller are held tight and removing the pin does require some good force to remove.I went and also made some charge bar cam roller's to go along with my homemade pull pin and ran tests,on both,they worked without failure,so now I have spares on hand.It seems when things break it is usually,on a weekend or holiday,so this keeps me on line.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i had a piece of shot hung up between the charge bar and press one time, same results. it popped the pin loose.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Take the red button on the off on switch off and put it onto the vibrator push switch. I did this with mine and have not had an issue since. Spolar told me to try it. i never used the off on switch anyways

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
My Spolar did the same thing. I wrestled with the issue for quite a while.
After speaking with Cole at Spolar, he had me loosen the two bolts on the top plate, re-align the plate and firmly tighten the bolts, small one first. This solved the problem.
John View attachment 1759525
That 2nd (small) bolt seems to have been added as a design change somewhere along the line. Mine, #175, only has the large bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
Mine # 811 has both.....

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just checked over the entire machine and found one set screw loose but not impeding anything. I DID find the small bolt on the top plate is missing but everything seems to be tight without any movement so I will replace that. Odd that I have never noticed anything falling off the machine. Mine is # 1210 and have 143K on it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I had the shoulder bolt part # 61 work loose after 17-18 years and it caused the female primer slide to float at times,just enough to cause problems.This went on for about 8-months on and off.It would lock 2 primers back to back as they entered the female primer slide,you couldn't budge them! As the female primer slide retracted,normally this would free up the locked primers.I found the cause by accident as I bumped my hand against the swing arm hub,I saw it move and knew that this wasn't right.I used blue lock tight on the bolt and the problem was solved.It is wise to go around and check the bolt tightness on your machine and also the hydro mounting bolts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine had the same problem. The detent on the cotter pin has gone bad which is allowing the roller to slide out of place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts