Trapshooters Forum banner

Spolar Muses

14352 Views 176 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  John Henry
Although I am retired I still work part time at the local ski hill near me in the winter. Part time turned into nearly full time as the shortage of help is prevalent there as well. The money was good but I didn't get much of a chance to shoot on account of always working. Ski season has been over and I have been shooting the last couple weeks so I had some reloading to do. Started cranking out some twelve gauge shells I use for skeet and stopped to take a look at the finished product and notices the bases were somewhat concave. Some to a point where I am not sure the firing pin will light the fire. So I ask myself "what the heck is going on here?" The hulls were fine after resizing but when I seated the primer they were concaved at that point. After pulling the sizing bushings out to get a better look at things it sure looked like the primer shaft was way to high to a point where it might be bottoming out on the hull and then some. After looking at things for a little bit I noticed the primer shaft weight had worked its way nearly to the base of the machine. With it down so far it allowed the shaft to extend up to high and really push those primers in hard. The set screw that holds that weight in place had somehow worked its way loose and the weight slowly unscrewed. I am sure this has been going on slowly over time but it had finally become noticeable. Got it back to where it fully seats the primers without causing the base of the shells to deform. I might add here that I use hydraulics to run the loader and it had not problem messing the hulls up.

I guess it is just good maintenance to keep on eye on all the nuts and bolts on any kind of a reloader you may be operating. The Spolar was back to putting out some beautiful ammo after I spotted the problem. Great machine.
See less See more
Reactions: 4
121 - 140 of 177 Posts
The lubricant Spolar gives you sure looks like Royal Purple 30w motor oil.
I am sure it isn't anything made just for them. They are making a good profit on reapackaging for sure.
I have a request. Most of you know I make glass powder and shot reservoirs for the Spolar loader. I would like to have a Spolar OEM powder and shot bottle adapter (#3 & #6 on page 2 of the parts list) for my reference. Please email or PM me if you can part with these parts.
Font Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rectangle Output device
See less See more
Reactions: 1
UP
I am a PW owner speed read through this thread, noting mentions of loose screws, bolts and aggravating subtle changes in adjustments. Same things happen on PWs.
I use medium strenth blue Loc-Tite on any thing that comes loose or could come loose and don’t have those problems anymore. The medium allows you to loosen without damage when needed.
I am a PW owner speed read through this thread, noting mentions of loose screws, bolts and aggravating subtle changes in adjustments. Same things happen on PWs.
I use medium strenth blue Loc-Tite on any thing that comes loose or could come loose and don’t have those problems anymore. The medium allows you to loosen without damage when needed.
Interesting. I go in the opposite direction. I apply a smidge of white lithium grease to the threads of all the bolts and screws on my Spolar. That way, I reduce the chance of any of them getting frozen. I don't have problems with any of them coming loose.

I do an annual tear down, cleaning and lube and everything gets buttoned up nice and tight on the putting back together part.
Interesting. I go in the opposite direction. I apply a smidge of white lithium grease to the threads of all the bolts and screws on my Spolar. That way, I reduce the chance of any of them getting frozen. I don't have problems with any of them coming loose.

I do an annual tear down, cleaning and lube and everything gets buttoned up nice and tight on the putting back together part.
I can appreciate that.
No point in solving a problem if it doesn’t exist.
I load in large batches. Same shell, same wad, primer shot load. Once I set my Spolar up I touch nothing. Sometimes I can go many thousands of shells without touching anything. Never could do that with my MEC's. In fact I think the less adjusting the better a Spolar runs but some people just need to turn a wrench or screwdriver.
I load in large batches. Same shell, same wad, primer shot load. Once I set my Spolar up I touch nothing. Sometimes I can go many thousands of shells without touching anything. Never could do that with my MEC's. In fact I think the less adjusting the better a Spolar runs but some people just need to turn a wrench or screwdriver.
I own a Spolar now, but I owned plenty of MECs before, and I've run 1000's shells without ever needing to adjust anything on the MEC's too. Spolar is a great machine, but with their recent price increases, I'd never recommend someone o buy one, they are way overpriced and the MECs will do just as good of a job.
Reactions: 3
I own a Spolar now, but I owned plenty of MECs before, and I've run 1000's shells without ever needing to adjust anything on the MEC's too. Spolar is a great machine, but with their recent price increases, I'd never recommend someone o buy one, they are way overpriced and the MECs will do just as good of a job.
I'm with JH on his statement. I had for Mec 9000's on the automate and they cranked out one good shell after the other with nothing more than a good cleaning every so often. Made a real good buy locally on a nice Spolar with hydros and it does the same thing. Once you have either machine set up correctly it is just a matter of putting a hull and wad in place and step on the pedal. The one thing I really don't like about the Spolar is that I have to resize the 28 gauge hulls with a, get this, MEC supersizer as directed to do so by Spolar because they stick in the new resizing dies that Spolar sells. Wished I had a set of old ones. It is only the 28 gauge that does this so I really don't understand that either. Talked with Cole several times and even sent the dies back once but it will destroy Winchester AA hulls as fast as you can put them into the machine unless you resize them as a separate operation on the Mec Supersizer.
?
I'm with JH on his statement. I had for Mec 9000's on the automate and they cranked out one good shell after the other with nothing more than a good cleaning every so often. Made a real good buy locally on a nice Spolar with hydros and it does the same thing. Once you have either machine set up correctly it is just a matter of putting a hull and wad in place and step on the pedal. The one thing I really don't like about the Spolar is that I have to resize the 28 gauge hulls with a, get this, MEC supersizer as directed to do so by Spolar because they stick in the new resizing dies that Spolar sells. Wished I had a set of old ones. It is only the 28 gauge that does this so I really don't understand that either. Talked with Cole several times and even sent the dies back once but it will destroy Winchester AA hulls as fast as you can put them into the machine unless you resize them as a separate operation on the Mec Supersizer.
I suggest trying the swab it's type of foam swab,they coat the dies fully and IMHO,do a better job than the cotton type of swab.You can also wash the foam swab's.I have the new dies in 12 ga and they perform very well,I also
have mike'd the hull and they came around the same as a super sizer.I will not use the cotton swab's any more.
I suggest trying the swab it's type of foam swab,they coat the dies fully and IMHO,do a better job than the cotton type of swab.You can also wash the foam swab's.I have the new dies in 12 ga and they perform very well,I also
have mike'd the hull and they came around the same as a super sizer.I will not use the cotton swab's any more.
You need to read the part about 28 gauge. Only one that gives me trouble. I am not the only Spolar owner cycling empties through a Supersizer. I know of two others fellow shooters doing the same thing.
Reactions: 2
Earlier in this thread I posted that I wanted the Spolar reservoir bases. I am considering offering a service to replace the plastic tube on the OEM Spolar reservoir with a Pyrex glass tube. Customers would send me their reservoir base and I will attach a glass tube with epoxy. The resulting reservoir will be the same size and gold color as the original OEM reservoir. This option will cost less and the base will be gold colored. I will continue to offer my reservoir with the black colored base. Comments?
Reactions: 4
It sounds like the new Spolar dies are just too small. I would take a brake cylinder hone and open one up until the problem goes away.
Earlier in this thread I posted that I wanted the Spolar reservoir bases. I am considering offering a service to replace the plastic tube on the OEM Spolar reservoir with a Pyrex glass tube. Customers would send me their reservoir base and I will attach a glass tube with epoxy. The resulting reservoir will be the same size and gold color as the original OEM reservoir. This option will cost less and the base will be gold colored. I will continue to offer my reservoir with the black colored base. Comments?
Jim,

I think that would be a great idea. Why pay for a part that one could recycle.
It sounds like the new Spolar dies are just too small. I would take a brake cylinder hone and open one up until the problem goes away.

That is what I thought Spolar was going to do for me when they asked for them back but I think the hardening makes it so they couldn't. That or they were worried about creating some other problem if they did. I would be happy to trade these to somebody who has a nice set of the old black ones.
That is what I thought Spolar was going to do for me when they asked for them back but I think the hardening makes it so they couldn't. That or they were worried about creating some other problem if they did. I would be happy to trade these to somebody who has a nice set of the old black ones.
The hardened dies can be honed. Honing is a grinding process. Unless they made a drastic error in sizing the shell holders it may only take a few 0.0001" (ten thousands) to open the diameter to what works. A machine shop should be able to hone the shell holder.
I wish I remembered the entire conversation with Cole. It could have been that they put a coating on them of some kind to prevent rust? Can't remember. They destroy AA and STS hulls shot out of my tubed Kolar one after the other. Steel based hulls not nearly as bad. They are probably not as expanded as the brass ones.
I wish I remembered the entire conversation with Cole. It could have been that they put a coating on them of some kind to prevent rust? Can't remember. They destroy AA and STS hulls shot out of my tubed Kolar one after the other. Steel based hulls not nearly as bad. They are probably not as expanded as the brass ones.
Your problem is probably caused by the Kolar tubes. Measure the metal base diameter on a fired hull from your Kolar tubes and compare that to a hull fired in a factory chambered gun. If the chamber on your 28 gauge tubes is oversized Kolar can install new chambers on your tubes.
It's not uncommon for Spolar subgauge dies to be the wrong size, or perhaps I should say, not the best size. I had to have The Jolly Trapshooter, a machinist on this site, make 410 dies for me, the Spolar dies were too large. He pointed out that the PW 410 dies were .004" tighter than the Spolar dies, and nobody ever complains about the PW dies. I had him make a set for me at that PW size, and they work great.

My buddy had an issue with his Spolar 28 ga dies being too large, his reloads wouldn't fit in to his Blaser 28 ga barrel.
Earlier in this thread I posted that I wanted the Spolar reservoir bases. I am considering offering a service to replace the plastic tube on the OEM Spolar reservoir with a Pyrex glass tube.

Comments?
Are you still looking for a set to test, and do I get the finished product back? Send me a PM.

I've already bought both Powder and shot bottles from you, but I have my originals.
121 - 140 of 177 Posts