Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone currently using the PW Auto Drive with their Spolar? Are you happy with the results or do you wish you had gone with the hydraulic unit (or vice versa)? I'm thinking about adding a power unit to my Spolar, and am curious about the pros and cons of each, Thanks for the help! ....Rick

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I bought a used Spolar last Christmas (2018) and bought the PW drive within a month. I love it. Instructions with the unit for set up were sufficient. It's not loud, and doeesn't get hot.

I'm not in a position to argue Hyd vs. Elec, I know a lot of guys love them both. The clutch on the elec works great, as a new user of the Spolar, I had a couple times when I got the press in to a jam, literally, and the clutch will spin before damage is done to the machine. I do know some guys who had Hyd crashes where the hydraulic system did not sense a problem and kept moving, causing some damage.

Good luck with whatever system you buy.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I like the autodrive because its quiet. Also, I installed it on a thick board and I can move it around my bench. Here is a picture of my son and I reloading yesterday. He feeds the wads, I feed the hulls.
In hind sight, I kind of wish I would have don't the same. I liked the mobility of my Automate when I was running MEC 9000s. How do you divert the finished shells with your set up?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I bought the PW because it is quiet and takes up less space than a hydraulic model. HOWEVER, mine had some real teething pains. After following the directions and getting everything up and running if something got stuck (like a primer that did not feed correctly) the PW is so powerful parts just snapped or bent because you do not get any feedback like you do when manually operating the Spolar. PW and Spolar are not Dillon so no free replacement parts and the parts are expensive. The biggest problem was the so-called "clutch" on the PW that simply did not slip. Luckily I have a lathe and milling machine so after numerous times of thinking things were OK and then having the Spolar start acting really strangely and finding the PW control arm bending inside the Spolar mainshaft, I finally got the clutch adjusted so it slips rather than bends or snap parts. I really enjoy it now but keep a constant eye on the clutch and keep an inch/pounds torque wrench in a drawer next to the press and check the adjustments every 2 or 3 thousand rounds.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is for sure personal preference. Spoler recommends the Hydraulic for obvious reasons. I have been using their Hydraulic unit for quite a few years now, and of course had my share of jams (99.9% my fault for not paying better attention). Never has that bent or broke any parts, as I simply release the easy to use foot pedal when it happens, and of course never try to force it through. You quickly develop a feel for the unit, just as you do pulling the handle, and the release is just that quick !! My bench backs up to my small office wall, and I mounted the unit through the wall in the office, via small holes for the wire and hoses. So noise is cut down to a minimum for me. Hope this might help your choice as I have never used the PW set up and for certain am not knocking it. Regards ES

·
Registered
451 Posts
They used to, but went to the auto drive instead. I think it was a mistake. I manage a ranch, so I use lots of hydraulic equipment. The auto-drive seems like a toy to me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I tried an Autodrive on my Spolar for a short time. I could never find the sweet spot to control the up and down limit without stressing something. The ability to adjust left a lot to be desired IMO. Also, unless you have lots of room behind loader, the loaded shell became a real problem as it has limited places to go.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I tried an Autodrive on my Spolar for a short time. I could never find the sweet spot to control the up and down limit without stressing something. The ability to adjust left a lot to be desired IMO. Also, unless you have lots of room behind loader, the loaded shell became a real problem as it has limited places to go.

The Spolar even in manual mode is supposed to drop the loaded rounds downward. The cutout template that comes with machine shows where to cut this hole. On mine the shells go into the hole under the PW motor and drop down into a drawer under the machine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Spolar even in manual mode is supposed to drop the loaded rounds downward. The cutout template that comes with machine shows where to cut this hole. On mine the shells go into the hole under the PW motor and drop down into a drawer under the machine.
My reloading bench has drawers underneath the counter top so that doesn't allow me to use bucket underneath. I just run loaded ammo out onto countertop.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't use a bucket. I use one of the drawers under my counter top. When I screwed the drive to the countertop I made sure it was centered over a drawer.

DSC_0001 (1).jpeg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts