Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have use W209 and sts primarily - have tried Chedite and others- don’t like they others but never had issue unless track was dirty

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
i have been using winchester 209's in my spolar, tried federal primers and my machine kept jamming up
Steve, I'd be interested in hearing what you think might be happening with the Feds.

I load all Fed 209A, and I haven't had any real problems, but last weekend I did have one get caught in the primer slide (the part that slides to the left and delivers the primer to the seating post.) It seems as that slide would slide back to the right, it is pinching the primer. It was during this jam that I broke the chute off the base of the primer deflector.

After I got it set up again, it happened one more time. This time, a spent primer got underneath the primer post, not allowing it to drop down all the way. That one was easier to fix.

So interested to hear about your Fed 209A episodes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm just finishing up the last of 10k or more of Federal primers, then back to the 15k of Winchester primers I have waiting to be used.
No problems with either.
The only time I've had any primer troubles, is when a #9 shot was hiding in the primer track.
You really have to look for the shot, and use a paperclip like instrument to clear it.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I load Chedittes and have had no issue. I occasionally use Federal also with no issues.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I still have some Cheddite's and when they are used up ,I will probably go to Winchester's.The problem I have on occasion,is that about 3 or 4 times on a full load of 400, primers,the Cheddites will bridge together,upon going into the female primer slide opening and they will lock together and not get to drop into the primer cup.So I have to watch for this and drop in a Cheddite ,manually.When the primer slide returns to it's home position, normally this, will free up the jam and the next time they will drop ok?I did a test with Win primers and there never has been a failure like this using them?The metric size makeup of the Cheddite primers is part of the cause,also,I have found out,that the chrome plating on the win primers,helps,stop the this condition also?I have tried everything
that I could think of over a long period of time, to come to this conclusion.Also,the Cheddites,need to have around 5 primers back to back in the primer feed tract,with no small space between them,before they get to the entrance of the female primer slide,othewise bridging,seem to become enhanced.It took me a very long time to figure this out as it is a sporatic condition.Again, the U.S.
made primers do not give me,this problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those that load Cheddites, do you have any tricks to load the primers in the tray, since the primer box is wider that the primer tray?

·
Registered
19,230 Posts
That’s been a constant quandary for Spolar owners.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
The Cheddite tray itself will fit in the Spolar the primer tray, just not with the sleeve on it. Cut the sides of the tray off and trim the top to the width of the tray. Use the top to hold the primers in as you invert the tray to load them and slide the cardboard top out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just use Win 209. No issues with it. I cannot imagine any other primer not working. It is a good system.

Since I occasionally spill powder, I make sure to empty and clean the track every once in a while. I respray with One Shot and let the primers slide away.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
What hulls are you using and how many times have the hulls been reloaded?
Federal Gold Medal Paper. Anything from once fired to 6 times reloaded. I use em until they get several pinholes or they split at the seam.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
For those that load Cheddites, do you have any tricks to load the primers in the tray, since the primer box is wider that the primer tray?
The new ones aren't. I trimmed down the tray's of the old ones and did it that way. Luckily I am out of the old stock now so I don't have to do that anymore.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you have not upgraded to the new primer cup, I would strongly recommend it. I have not experienced tipped primers since I got it. Ditto with the magnetic hull seat. I have, over the years managed to get shot into the primer feed. When it is empty run a paper clip up both sides to make sure you don't have anything caught in it.
Mine is serial number 1100 something. What are they up to now?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Steve, I'd be interested in hearing what you think might be happening with the Feds.

I load all Fed 209A, and I haven't had any real problems, but last weekend I did have one get caught in the primer slide (the part that slides to the left and delivers the primer to the seating post.) It seems as that slide would slide back to the right, it is pinching the primer. It was during this jam that I broke the chute off the base of the primer deflector.

After I got it set up again, it happened one more time. This time, a spent primer got underneath the primer post, not allowing it to drop down all the way. That one was easier to fix.

So interested to hear about your Fed 209A episodes.
Hi John, i had the same problem as you with the federal primers jamming up the primer slide, i made sure everything was cleaned and even polished it up with some steel wool and cleaned after that and the same problem kept happening, as soon as i tried winchester 209 primers the problem was gone, haven't had it jam in over 700 reloads

1 - 20 of 55 Posts