Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a deal with Peter777 to purchase his spolar reloader. I sent payment through PayPal as agreed.
next day he refunded the payment and asked me to re send payment. Tat would leave me out double the amount tied up in the PayPal system so I declined. turns out he balked at the fee they charge.
I can't deal with people who want me to participate in fee avoidance.

Paul S

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
It should have been paid in family & friends payment mode & there would have been no fees to your seller. This was a casual sale between members after all Peter 777 is not a business.
Not knowing the sale price but knowing Spolars, used they can easily go in the 2k+ range for a manual loader. That's equals an unnecessary hefty fee charge assessed to a casual sale. Your seller was within his rights to ask you to reverse your payment & resend it correctly. Obviously you're unfamiliar with the paypal process's had you been this transaction could have gone smoothly.
A call to Paypal may have fixed your double payment concerns in their system.

· Registered
621 Posts
I made a deal with Peter777 to purchase his spolar reloader. I sent payment through PayPal as agreed.
next day he refunded the payment and asked me to re send payment. Tat would leave me out double the amount tied up in the PayPal system so I declined. turns out he balked at the fee they charge.

Paul S
How did Peter777 contact you? On your profile page? He only has 5 posts, and short ones at that, and I do not think he can respond in the classified areas. Beware!!

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Unless the guy ( peter777 ) slipped a for sale offer into a thread message that was reported and subsequently deleted how did the OP even know and deal with this loader? The guy’s only posts have to do with a MEC 9000 breaking bolts.

Reactions: losclay

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Great points made by MCTS & V10.
I missed the sellers eligibility status but it was not mentioned in the op’s complaint. Nonetheless this doesn’t change how PayPal works, however it’s probably for the best that this transaction possibly a scam fell through

· Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Unless the guy ( peter777 ) slipped a for sale offer into a thread message that was reported and subsequently deleted how did the OP even know and deal with this loader? The guy’s only posts have to do with a MEC 9000 breaking bolts.
And when you try to look him up you get the oops this member restricts who can view his profile page

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Because Paypal is a business and they have a right to charge for their services if they wish. Honestly, on a deal that large I would have insisted on paying it through goods and services so you were protected even if it meant another $25 on my end. Friends and family offers no such protection.

· Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I had a deal through Gunbroker, seller wanted pay through friends and family. I declined and sent certified check. Do not trust anyone through this service if you personally do not know this individual. Same with if you pay using there email, if found out the hard way, PayPal will not reimburse.
How does using a certified check provide you with any protection? The bank withdraws the money from your account at the time they issue the check. Your only alternative is to stop payment before the recipient cashes it. Many sellers say they won't ship until they receive payment. You run the risk the putative seller will cash your check and not ship. Frankly, I'm persuaded using the goods and services feature of paypal is worth the fee in this context.

· Registered
682 Posts

Paul S
BUYER BEWARE!! If you use Friends and Family to pay for this you have ZERO protection from being scammed!!!! Take the refund, walk away, and consider yourself lucky.

· Registered
4,383 Posts
It should have been paid in family & friends payment mode & there would have been no fees to your seller. This was a casual sale between members after all Peter 777 is not a business.
Not knowing the sale price but knowing Spolars, used they can easily go in the 2k+ range for a manual loader. That's equals an unnecessary hefty fee charge assessed to a casual sale. Your seller was within his rights to ask you to reverse your payment & resend it correctly. Obviously you're unfamiliar with the paypal process's had you been this transaction could have gone smoothly.
A call to Paypal may have fixed your double payment concerns in their system.

If you use F&F you have no recourse in getting a refund if deal goes south.

· Registered
348 Posts
10tenner said:
I had a deal through Gunbroker, seller wanted pay through friends and family. I declined and sent certified check. Do not trust anyone through this service if you personally do not know this individual. Same with if you pay using there email, if found out the hard way, PayPal will not reimburse.
How does using a certified check provide you with any protection? The bank withdraws the money from your account at the time they issue the check. Your only alternative is to stop payment before the recipient cashes it. Many sellers say they won't ship until they receive payment. You run the risk the putative seller will cash your check and not ship. Frankly, I'm persuaded using the goods and services feature of paypal is worth the fee in this context.
Ned I meant cashier check edited the post…
The seller did not want to pay the fee..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.