Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FWIW,I had an ongoing problem,using Cheddite problems on my Spolar loader.the primers would jam together,as they were about to enter the female primer slide.This would happen about 2-3 times on a fully
loaded primer tray,on and off.I tried everything possible,to get the problem resolved,but to no avail?I then,bought some Win primers and they fed,perfectly,with no problem.This led me to believe,that it was a
possible metric problem,mismatch,so I just accepted,it and would use up my stock of Cheddite primers and
then,move on.By accident,I happened to move a part,by hand and then found out the problem.In the primer tray feeding system speck,it is page #4,part #61,shoulder bolt,that was about an 1/8 th of a turn loose,This would cause the swing arm hub to loose tension and float, causing the jamming of the primers.My unit is about
15-17 years old,so this can happen.I tightened,the bolt and everything can back to normal,no more jamming,or
primer bridging,why this would cause the Cheddite's to jam and the Win,primers not to,is unknown?Everything is now, A-ok.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good to know. I will be checking all the bolts tomorrow to make sure everything is tight. It never dawned on me to check that area.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I will have to check mine also. The only primer problem I have is that Winchesters hang up on the first turn up on the tray. Cheddit and CCI don't for some reason. 2 get jammed in there when I put 2 packs of primers in when the female rail is full. I have caught it before the no primer then powder dump all over the base. I have wiped the tray down with a dry clean cloth. Was thinking maybe waxing it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Johnson's paste wax on my primer tray and it helps, a bunch,if you are having a problem of the primers dropping into the primer chute,you can check the spacing between the tray housing and the primer chute.I use a medium zip tie as a feeler gauge,which is about 1/8" in width and put it between the space of the primer chute and the primer tray housing.It should almost go in the space
but stop before it gets to hit the tray.This has worked for me and a couple of other Spolar reloaders,that I have told this to.My primer situation was sporeatic and also somewhat,of a hassle?At times one primer would bridge itself on another primer and actually lift itself out of the primer tract,before it entered the female primer slide.I would usually see it fall down,but sometimes it would get stuck and rest against the other primers?P/S,I was member of the Madison Rod and Gun Club in Killingworth Ct,but that was in 1978,I don't know if it still is there?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Believe it's still there. Haven't had an invite by anyone to shoot there. Did get to shoot some trap over at Branford the other day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts