Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have discovered a "chattering" sound on my reloader and originally suspected a lack of lubrication on the main shaft. After disassembling and inspection I believe it is coming from the charge bar. Has anyone substituted graphite in lieu of the white powder from Spolar?

Thanks
Jamie

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
The dry lube is what’s recommended. It works. My Spolar is old & I’ve never experienced what your describing. It’s also clean.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, consider yourself lucky then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, and there have been other posts describing the same problem and using graphite as a solution. Was hoping someone on this board knew "first hand".

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
No, and there have been other posts describing the same problem and using graphite as a solution. Was hoping someone on this board knew "first hand".
Don’t forget to clean the bar & channel with the recommend One Shot. I usually spray it in & push a paper towel thru using my chamber brush as a ram rod. Think about this, the powder & shot running thru there is also leaving graphite deposits behind. The paper towels come out pretty dirty. One shot is a dry lube & the white is only for the top of the bar near the powder seal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi I did try graphite and did not find it at all helpful. As Losclay advised - run the unit without the charge bar to better isolate the problem. Clean the channel with the one shot and apply the powder to both the top of the charge bar and directly to the o-ring. Cycle it by hand with the bottles empty. I noticed that the chatter is when the bar is going away from you. The adjusting screws can be loosened "slightly" to relieve some O-ring pressure. Just do one at a time, and I would start with the powder screw. 1/4 turn is plenty. After inserting the wad - you can gently put your thumb under the bar and put slight upward pressure to it as it goes in while running the unit. That will help you actually feel the chatter. PM me if you want, and we could talk about the problem and some other possible solutions as I have experienced it myself. Regards ES

·
Registered
352 Posts
IF YOU WANT FIRST HAD INFORMATION PLEASE! READ THE MANUAL OR CALL!

losclay is the only one who is absolutely correct in everything he wrote. Also in the manual and video, to isolate whether the problem is in the charging system or somewhere else, all that you need to do is remove the Charge Bar Pin and Roller, that disables the charging system and helps isolate where the problem is; this is in both the manual and the video manual,which we send with every machine and is also available on spolargold.com/video.
Dicksie Spolar

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dicksie,
Yes, read the manual and watched the video some time ago. Did not run the machine without the charge bar being activated (my fault).

Ran without per yours and ernscott's suggestion did not chatter. Engaged and adjusted the silver (large) screws and went away after replacing o-rings and loosening four (4) allen screws slightly. This all manually operated, will hook up hydraulic and run a few cycles to make sure and no powder migration due to loosening.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
Jamie

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
i had the same problem you describe on a used spolar i purchased, i took the charge bar out of the machine then took the top bracket off and just cleaned everything up with 4 o steel wool and then put it all back together and used the white powder from spolar and the problem was gone, also make sure you dont have the set screws too tight where the shot and powder bottles screw into

·
Registered
352 Posts
Which screws are you all referring to? I do not know what a"powder screw is. Two of those may be the Detent Pins, which have to be set for the perfect amount of pressure on the Charge Bar.
Dicksie Spolar

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dicksie,
Yes, I was referring to the "detent" screws in my last post.
Jamie

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I clean and lube mine regularly yet my charge bar has two areas of wear on the bottom. The bright spot on the right actually has some light gouges in it. The area on the left is shiney but smooth. I have cleaned the track the bar rides in regularly and carefully inspected for any roughness in the track. Can't see or feel anything. Anyone else have this problem or is it even a problem? I have used reclaimed shot in my Mec but I have only used new shot in the Spolar. The only powder I use is Clays.

DSC_0001 (1).jpeg

·
Registered
882 Posts
IMHO,you can use a rag or towel to clean the charge bar channel,but about every 5k rnds,I runout the power & shot and pull the assembly off of the machine and do the cleaning,this way,you know what you have?That is way too much wear on the charge bar,period.There might be too much tension on the detent screw's?My charge bar has been used for 17 years and only has one tiny mark,near the shot charge bar hole,probably due to some reclaimed shot?One clue that you will find on lubing the charge bar is,you will hear a rubbing sound,as the bar goes back and forth,you will hear this even using a hydro unit.When properly lubed on the charge bar,you should be able to push,the bar inward with your little finger and with the charge bar linkage,disconnected,for test purposes.There are folks that will never pull the shot and powder assembly's as they don't want to confront the issue,all they want to do is pull the handle and go.I recently heard of a reloader,that had oil on his charge bar and one of our shooters,looked at his press and told me about it,on the side,after he cleaned the bar for the reloader.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have discovered a "chattering" sound on my reloader and originally suspected a lack of lubrication on the main shaft. After disassembling and inspection I believe it is coming from the charge bar. Has anyone substituted graphite in lieu of the white powder from Spolar?

Thanks
Jamie
I also have experienced the same problem . Remove the charge bar and check the underside - mine started to show a streak on front left underside from scraping on the aluminum as it moved - somehow must be getting pressure on it , may be only happening with full load of shot. My remedy was a very very light coating of STOS grease ! Nothing else worked! Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,855 Posts
I also have experienced the same problem . Remove the charge bar and check the underside - mine started to show a streak on front left underside from scraping on the aluminum as it moved - somehow must be getting pressure on it , may be only happening with full load of shot. My remedy was a very very light coating of STOS grease ! Nothing else worked! Good luck
Dont under any circumstance grease the charge bar. Clean & wipe down with One Shot dry lube only. Two things would cause wear on the charge bar. 1 too much tension on the bottle base detents 2 Reclaimed shot

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Pretty dang good support for Spolar owners !!!

Great advice ! Very kind of you guys...

·
Registered
882 Posts
You will get some wear on the aluminum housing over time,this is normal,what losclay says is right on,one shot on the charge bar & Spolar white powder,on the top part of the charge bar is all you will need,for lube.The right detent tension is also needed,plus a good washer seal.Again,periodically, disassembly and cleaning,of the shot & powder assembly's,is also needed!

·
Registered
352 Posts

Dr.D You are very lucky you have not had Charge Bar problems yourself yet. We recommend ONLY Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner Dry Lube to clean and lube the Charge Bar and Charge Bar Housing followed with a little Spolar Dry Lube Powder on top of the bar, just around the Powder Bushing.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Another thing I want to mention about the detent screws is,that if they are too loose,[mainly the power detent] as you are loading,the powder tube can walk itself to a partially off position and give you partial powder drops,I had this happen to me at one time and had to open about 75 shells.You try to watch everything,but you can only do so much, on that?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts