Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an S&W j frame and speed loaders hit the side of frame so bullets do not drop right in. Seems the diameter of the speed loader is too large. Any experience or thoughts? thanks ed

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try them when I find. Actually it may be operator error. The bullets drop in if you are very careful. The tolerance is tight. Not for the fastest reload if you need to. thanks ed

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Colt Trooper Mark 3 and use a HKS M3-A. I believe it's a J frame. Plastic does come close to the frame but the bullets all line up with cylinders. About $12 on ebay.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
You sure it is hitting the frame and not the grip?

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I just don't recall my old Model 36 ever having this issue.

But it was so long ago that the HKS Speedloader I used was their Model 36, which has cartridge jiggle. Their present 36A version without the jiggle was not even made at the time.

I traded off the 36 and its speedloaders over two decades ago, so I can't test them.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
When a speedloader lines up quickly and everything drops the way it's supposed to, it's quick. When I fumble one it's worse than useless. I find speed strips for my J's are slower than the fastest speedload but oh so much more reliable and convenient to carry.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Safariland Comp I JC7 speedloader would be my own choice. Try the Safariland website above to take a look. You can buy one on amazon.com for $13.21 and less. (http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-J-C7-COMP-I-Speedloader/dp/B001PBIWHG)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem until I purchased a set of Craig Spegel Boot Grips and the SL Variant Speedloader...no fumbles...no problems! Very fast reload! The grips are dished out to allow room for speedloaders.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought my wife a Ruger LCR, I also bought a couple speed loaders..I was very let down when I tried to use them.. I fumbled with them and was just about to throw them away when my wife grabbed them.. She is able to get them to work but I still can't do it.. I guess as long as she's happy, I'm happy..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I carry a J Frame .32 loaded with Buffalo Bore wadcutters and I carry an extra speed strip in my pocket. You can practice and get pretty good at this, checkout the video in my link above. Hope I never have to use my pistol, but if I need more than 12 shots I am in trouble.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
There is also a lower profile cylinder release bottons available for these guns a few of the newer S&W guns I have seen came from the factory with them.

If you are looking for the fastest and best speedload system go with moon clips (yes there are 5 shot moons for the J-frames) and have the back of the cylinder milled off to accomodate them. Not really that expensive. If you really do get into a real life gun battle and need a reload you are going to need it to be as fast and as simple as possible.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Mike, I used to carry two S&W Model 12's for that very reason. The fastest reload is a second revolver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts