Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone speak to a Winchester Rep. at the Grand about supplying reloading components ?

I would like to know, from them, when they will start supplying primers and wads again to reloaders.

WAA12's are nonexistent and I'd like to buy 5k or 10k of them.

· Registered
4,491 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
It saddens me that people have to buy from Graf and Sons....I've never seen anything priced reasonably from them.

CAC sells the CB-1118 for $91 per 5000.
Or. You could go to gamaliel/brownells and pay $225/5k.

• Wow
Reactions: bosni

· Registered
602 Posts
It saddens me that people have to buy from Graf and Sons....I've never seen anything priced reasonably from them.

CAC sells the CB-1118 for $91 per 5000.
CAC is definitely the better choice if they have stock. I sometimes forget to check them because they don't have live inventory on their website so you have to call.

OTOH, the stores that carry components around here are retailing CB wads for around $13 per bag, so $12.50 a bag is not unreasonable given the current climate.

Graf's also has flat rate per order shipping so that can make a difference if you're ordering in bulk.

· Registered
69 Posts
Winchester is not going to sell primers or components to reloaders as long as ammo is so deeply backordered. Too much profit to be made in ammo versus reloading components. It appears that we can't rely on Winchester to supply us as reloaders. Looks like I'm going to become a devoted Cheddite customer. Winchester can kiss it!!

· Registered
117 Posts
Winchester is not going to sell primers or components to reloaders as long as ammo is so deeply backordered. Too much profit to be made in ammo versus reloading components. It appears that we can't rely on Winchester to supply us as reloaders. Looks like I'm going to become a devoted Cheddite customer. Winchester can kiss it!!
This is the way

· Registered
12,998 Posts
Winchester and Federal both are holding their primers for loading factory ammo. There may be a few more floating around but for the most part Cheddites are the only game in town right now . The supply of ammo is really tight right now and it looks like it may be for some time to come as long as the supply is not keeping up with demand and the hoarding continues !

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
From what I've read in other threads Graf's at the Grand is not affiliated with Graf & Sons, the online components retailer.
Mike Graf, owner/operator of Graf's Reloading out of St. Charles, MO, was the vendor at the Grand. As I understand, he sold his brick and mortar business to "Full Circle Reloading", also in St. Charles, but Mike continues to attend some of the larger shoots and sell components as "Graf's Reloading". "Graf and Sons, the reloading authority" is a separate business, independent of Mike Graf, and located in Mexico, MO. Their website shows a brick and mortar store as well as a large "mail order" business. Three completely different and separate businesses.

· Registered
36,819 Posts
If the same large primer cup is used in large pistol, large rifle and shot shells with differing primer mixture, it will be a while for sure. Side by side comparison I have my doubts they are the same,

Reactions: PaulCISSA

· Registered
1,107 Posts
If the same large primer cup is used in large pistol, large rifle and shot shells with differing primer mixture, it will be a while for sure. Side by side comparison I have my doubts they are the same,

View attachment 1762255
They're absolutely different cups. I went through this exercise with my father-in-law years ago and we mic'd a bunch of different primers and manufactures. The cups are stamped from different stock thicknesses, different hardnesses and sizes. Some people argue politics over Thanksgiving dinner, we argued about stuff like this. ;)

· Registered
36,819 Posts
They're absolutely different cups. I went through this exercise with my father-in-law years ago and we mic'd a bunch of different primers and manufactures. The cups are stamped from different stock thicknesses, different hardnesses and sizes. Some people argue politics over Thanksgiving dinner, we argued about stuff like this. ;)
That is good you argue about the important stuff.

We had a discussion here a while back about the primer size of rifle, pistol and shotgun being the same size according to SAAMI specs. No mention about the thickness of the cups.

Reactions: charleyj10

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Mike Graf no longer owns Graf's Reloading in St. Charles, Mo. He sold out to another new owner. Business is now called Circle Creek or something like that? Still at the same location though.
Just 4 posts up thread…

· Registered
36,819 Posts
Two years ago I detoured from my route along US 40 going returning from TN to CO and stopped in at Mexico MO. Last time I went there for reloading supplies was 1976. Quite a change in the place from what I remembered. Oh crap one of the voices I am hearing is Babs singing The Way We Were. Oh double Crap!

· Registered
715 Posts

View attachment 1762255
Complete different animals. I haven't used Winchester primers for Metallic for years, but still have a good bit of WW 209's stored away.

· Registered
36,819 Posts
Complete different animals. I haven't used Winchester primers for Metallic for years, but still have a good bit of WW 209's stored away.
Past posts here and else where have talked about people who punch out the shotshell cup from the primer body and replace it with a pistol or rifle primer. I have linked to those posts and also recharging primers by punching out the firing pin dent after removing the anvil, put in new priming powder, replacing the anvil and putting The cup back into the shotshell priner body.

Me, not that desperate yet. I do have thousands of assorted one time used primers I maybe willing to sell someday. Don’t bother sending me PM’s now, I am not ready to let go of them yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.