Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had experience with Spartan shot? CAC Associates has it for $33 a bag.

Tim, have you tested for hardness? 7 bucks cheaper than Remington STS. Could it be a viable substitute?

B201ADB4-206D-496D-9C03-D5DEE3F72950.jpeg

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Anyone had experience with Spartan shot? CAC Associates has it for $33 a bag.

Tim, have you tested for hardness? 7 bucks cheaper than Remington STS. Could it be a viable substitute?

View attachment 1697863
It's fine for Skeet, 16 yard trap targets & doubles targets. I would not use it for Med. To Long Range Handicap.
The last time I tested was 2016.
It was extremely soft then. That's not saying that is how it is currently.
Possibly send some shot samples Tim's way. He can test it and advise.
I am still unable to perform this testing at this time.
MG

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Tim, have you tested for hardness?
I just looked through my notes and I don't think I have (I need to make a spreadsheet for all the testing I've done...)

If you want to send me a tablespoon full of this shot I'm happy to test it.

PM me for details.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recently got some Spartan 9 shot.

I put calipers on ten BBs. Most were about 0.08” but a couple varied as small as 0.075 and one as big as 0.085. So, it seems to be sized within limits based on rule of 17s in my limited size evaluation of only a few BBs with my el-cheapo calipers.

In my 28G MEC which drops a fairly consistent 328 grains of Lawrence, with Spartan the drop is in the low 330s (heavier by about 4 grains or so on average I’d say) for same volume. Based on limited scope size check discussed above, I assume that BB size isn’t the cause of the difference. Thus I assume since Spartan is heavier than Lawrence West Coast by a few grains, that means Spartan has more lead and less antimony (i.e. it’s softer) by a tad.

I should count out a hundred pellets of each and weigh them and mic them but I’m not that good of a shooter for it to matter! It is very likely harder shot than the “chilled” factory loads I also shoot, but again I’m not good enough to tell the difference. I do like its price!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts