Trapshooters Forum banner

Sparta Walmart Question

1759 12
I'm heading to the Grand this year and as per the ATA email, we are only going to be permitted to buy shells that correspond to the number of targets paid for. I am shooting every event and will buy as much as I can to support the shell house.

That said, I am having a hard time finding ammo around here in my home state of NJ. This includes eastern PA and DE. I'd like to bring some home.

Did the Sparta Walmart have ammo for sale during the US Open?
If the answer is yes, I will assume they will have ammo for the Grand. Even if the answer is no, I'm hoping by the Grand they have ammo.
If they did have ammo during the US Open, was there a limit?

And finally, and I know this has been gone over before: being from out of state, in order to buy ammo there I either have to buy a hunting license in IL or find someone on the grounds who is an IL resident willing to take a ride to buy them for me, correct?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
8,256 Posts
I'm heading to the Grand this year and as per the ATA email, we are only going to be permitted to buy shells that correspond to the number of targets paid for. I am shooting every event and will buy as much as I can to support the shell house.

That said, I am having a hard time finding ammo around here in my home state of NJ. This includes eastern PA and DE. I'd like to bring some home.

Did the Sparta Walmart have ammo for sale during the US Open?
If the answer is yes, I will assume they will have ammo for the Grand. Even if the answer is no, I'm hoping by the Grand they have ammo.
If they did have ammo during the US Open, was there a limit?

And finally, and I know this has been gone over before: being from out of state, in order to buy ammo there I either have to buy a hunting license in IL or find someone on the grounds who is an IL resident willing to take a ride to buy them for me, correct?
Thread pertaining to your one question:
Shoutout to Sparta Walmart

V10 answered the other.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I searched Sparta Walmart before I posted this it didn't come up in the search engine. Thanks for the info.

As far as it being illegal, that's an interesting point. I possess a NJFID card which is similar to the ILFID card and according to some folks who I have talked to, based on how the law is written, IL should honor the NJ card but they do not.

Then again, how anyone would tell that the ammo came from Walmart or the shell house on the grounds is beyond me.

· Registered
13,489 Posts
There is a poster here that lives near the Sparta Walmart. He has said they are selling ammo. They have the Walmart 4 packs being sold in 8 box mini flats for $44. They also have a little this or that, that changes from week to week. You will need to buy a hunting license if you don't live in the state of Illinois, or live in a adjoining state that touches Illinois. I have no idea how much the hunting license will cost you. If you want to buy your limit of ammo each day for the entire week of the Grand? Then you would need a week long hunting license. Since this Walmart now has a limit per day on how many shells you can buy. You can't buy what you want in one shot. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

· Just getting by.....
2,026 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Hello Stocker,
I live about 10 miles from Sparta. They currently have AA's and other shells and as long as everyone doesn't make a mad rush they should have ammo. I believe the price on the AA's is around $80-$85 per flat. After the US Open, someone must have complained to Walmart and they put a limit of 3 flats per purchase. Prior to the US Open, you could buy all your wallet could carry.
The ATA sent out an email saying they will also have shells, but you will need to bring your cashiering ticket to the shell house. You can only purchase the quantity of shells you have squadded for. I have no control over what others do, but I would like to suggest that no one clean out Walmart until after the Grand. After that, back up the truck and get all you want.
As to your NJ FOID card not being accepted, It would not be required at the shell house. Walmart want to sell us things, and if there is a way they will. If the sales person at Walmart thought the person buying shells was making a "Straw Purchase", they will stop the sale. Another useful fact, Walmart will not sell any ammo to a person under 21. My 19 yr old son was quite annoyed by that.

regards,

Todd

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Stocker,
I live about 10 miles from Sparta. They currently have AA's and other shells and as long as everyone doesn't make a mad rush they should have ammo. I believe the price on the AA's is around $80-$85 per flat. After the US Open, someone must have complained to Walmart and they put a limit of 3 flats per purchase. Prior to the US Open, you could buy all your wallet could carry.
The ATA sent out an email saying they will also have shells, but you will need to bring your cashiering ticket to the shell house. You can only purchase the quantity of shells you have squadded for. I have no control over what others do, but I would like to suggest that no one clean out Walmart until after the Grand. After that, back up the truck and get all you want.
As to your NJ FOID card not being accepted, It would not be required at the shell house. Walmart want to sell us things, and if there is a way they will. If the sales person at Walmart thought the person buying shells was making a "Straw Purchase", they will stop the sale. Another useful fact, Walmart will not sell any ammo to a person under 21. My 19 yr old son was quite annoyed by that.

regards,

Todd

Todd,

I appreciate the info. I know I won't need my FID card to buy at the shell house, but I was hoping Walmart would accept it in place of a hunting license or IL card as I have heard they should if they are following the law. I'm not looking to clean anyone out but I would like to get enough AA Super Handicaps to get me through the end of the shooting season.

I'm over double the legal age so that's not a problem!

Tony

· Registered
2,606 Posts
On Saturday June 19th, 2021, Wal-Mart at Sparta had about 11 pallets of shells sitting in the isles. They had Remington STS light 7.5 and they had Winchester AA light 7.5, super handicap 8's, light 9's, one ounce 8 handicap, and they had cases of 4 pack of Universals. They also had 20ga 4 packs. Limit is 3 flats each customer each day. You have to be a FOID holder, or live in an adjoining state (or the usual hunting or fishing license). The price was 78 (before tax) for AA, 78.70 for Remingtons, 45 for the 2 4pack cases. With the 3 flat limit they will last longer than they did at the US Open. There people were buying 30+ flats at a time and you had to be there at the exact time they brought them out.

· Registered
12,995 Posts
On Saturday June 19th, 2021, Wal-Mart at Sparta had about 11 pallets of shells sitting in the isles. They had Remington STS light 7.5 and they had Winchester AA light 7.5, super handicap 8's, light 9's, one ounce 8 handicap, and they had cases of 4 pack of Universals. They also had 20ga 4 packs. Limit is 3 flats each customer each day. You have to be a FOID holder, or live in an adjoining state (or the usual hunting or fishing license). The price was 78 (before tax) for AA, 78.70 for Remingtons, 45 for the 2 4pack cases. With the 3 flat limit they will last longer than they did at the US Open. There people were buying 30+ flats at a time and you had to be there at the exact time they brought them out.
Glad they finally put a limit on flats. The greedy hoarders were making it pretty much impossible to get a supply of shells. The trouble is the limit varies from store to stores. Some stores are saying 3 BOXES ,which of course, won't do a serious target shooter much good.

· Registered
36,787 Posts
Hoarders and scalpers (people taking advantage of shortage by reselling at higher prices at shoots and gun shows).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.