·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.shootata.com/Portals/0/pdf/PRESS_RELEASE_Aug_4.pdf

Below is a copy and paste.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
ATA Executive Committee meets with State Officials
The ATA Executive Committee, consisting of President Rob Taylor, Vice President Wayne Morris,
Vice President John Burke, Vice President Jim Jones, Vice President Terry Roush, Ex Officio Allan
Radway, Secretary Hunter Galloway, Treasurer Tom Burkey, and Executive Director Lynn
Gipson, meets on a daily basis during the 2015 Grand American World Trapshooting
Championships in Sparta, IL.
During the 2015 Grand American, the ATA Executive Committee will be afforded the opportunity
to meet with a number of Illinois Department of Natural Resources Officials and Illinois State
Legislators. The ATA remains positive that an agreement between Illinois lawmakers and the Illinois
Governor will be reached and that the World Shooting & Recreational Complex will be the host
for the 2016 Grand American World Trapshooting Championship on August 3 - 13, 2016.
For information, contact Troy Kueker, ATA National Marketing Manager, at [email protected].

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why am I believing that this is a real life depiction of the ATA's future.
Since you asked...it is probably because you have years of experience with Illinois politics and a generally optimistic attitude. :anim_rofl2:

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
" The ATA remains positive that an agreement between Illinois lawmakers and the Illinois
Governor will be reached and that the World Shooting & Recreational Complex will be the host
for the 2016 Grand American World Trapshooting Championship on August 3 - 13, 2016."

Is that positive as in upbeat or positive as in certain???

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
" The ATA remains positive that an agreement between Illinois lawmakers and the Illinois
for the 2016 Grand American World Trapshooting Championship on August 3 - 13, 2016."

Is that positive as in upbeat or positive as in certain???

Its positive in "We really hope we get to stay" but it may be time to start looking elsewhere.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Since you asked...it is probably because you have years of experience with Illinois politics and a generally optimistic attitude. :anim_rofl2:

No experience with Illinois politicans but I do have 20 years experience with Texas politicians.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have little knowledge of what's going on but what other option do you think they have but to lease it to the ATA? May be turn it into a hay field and sell the hay ?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Their option is to close it and stop spending money to support it each year. According to one of their Senators he is in contact with a large corporation that wants to buy it. Have no idea if that's true.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Illinois Politics/ Politicians are always uncertain about anything except pay raises and raising the taxes ... Ben Dover meet the Senator ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have little knowledge of what's going on but what other option do you think they have but to lease it to the ATA? May be turn it into a hay field and sell the hay ?
Don't put it past a state government to let a top notch national (or international) shooting facility go to waste. Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds (Formerly Wolf Creek Shooting Complex) was the 1996 Olympic shooting venue and hosted major national and international pistol and rifle matches after...till the pistol and rifle side of it got shutdown. IIRC, the whole thing might've been shutdown, then the shotgun side of things was resurrected.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Only time will tell on what the outcome will be. My 2 cents says it will stay right where it is now.
Awful lot of time, money, and effort invested in this enterprise to just close it up but I am not too
familiar with how bad the politics are there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a business man and have dealt with a few municipalities and city councils. Most are pretty common sense individuals and will look at this situation in the same manner. They are not a charity (unless it has to do with empowering their self-perpetuation). They will see the complex and ask ATA how they plan on making it profitable. If ATA does not have an answer - then they cannot keep it open. Simple as that.

Strategically, ATA should be ahead of the curve (and not chasing it as they will never catch up). This is what I would do if it was one of my businesses on the chopping block:

1 - Have a reliable economic impact report of what tax revenues the center provides the region - including hotel, restaurant, and other retail sales. They should have already hired a reputable law firm with expertise in this area to get all this information to show at the meeting. Not having this will completely shoot down any chance ATA will have of helping the center stay open. It sets the context for any conversations/negotiations.

2 - Reach out to the local city government and plan a takeover with a business plan in place to turn it around with local tax dollars - include a small percentage of state funding that is considerably lower than what the state government is currently paying - something along the lines of $300K. This will show good will as well as save face for all the money that was sunk into a business that will close (ATA will have to sell the bad publicity that a closing of this expensive center will have on Illinois and themselves in particular). Again - hiring an expert public relations firm in this area will definitely be key. They should have put a couple of big ads with a well though out strategy in the capital's newspapers portraying the "failure" of the administration. The local government may be able to apply for New Market Tax Credits or other state business development funds that may support this effort to take it over.

3 - Reach out to private organizations that may want to take it over in partnership with ATA. If a company takes over the site without being partners with ATA, then the ATA will be at their mercy. Not a positive position to be in. Better to become a partner with someone you can work with then having to spend effort and anxiety over negotiations. Of course this would include joining other organization together, or building an alliance. This could include buying the property from the state in partnership or in parcels. This is where creativity is key. There are many ways to skin a cat.

This is just a starting point. ATA cannot just show up to the meeting and hem and haw. They need to have all these options fully thought out and put together in a stack (presentation). Politicians think in one way - how will this help me (or hurt me) to stay in power (or gain more power). You need to spell it out.

At the end of the day, they are not going to go out of their way to make this work. ATA has to step up to the plate proactively. They cannot expect to attend these meetings and have the answer given to them. They need to give the solutions to the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rick Gutz,
You make perfect sense to me. Opinions and feelings will not keep the place viable without a business plan that the community and region can support.
Tim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lady T, I think Texas is finally starting to get a taste of Chicago politics now that your politicians are starting to get in hot water. Illinois is fed up and finally elected someone to take on the Madigan machine! Let's hope this settles quickly!
If you really want to stay on top of our politics then check out this site http://www.illinoispolicy.org/, Mike Lucci writes good, factual articles about the problems with Illinois and our pension problems which ultimately trickle to our shooting lifestyles!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Why would anyone in their right mind want to buy the facility in Sparta? If you're a major corporation with the ability and deep pockets to develop and improve that would be one thing but an individual would face a huge risk of losing a large chunk of change. I doubt there's any chance of an individual purchasing Sparta.

1 - 20 of 353 Posts