Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking forward to my first trip to the Southern Grand.

Would anybody like to share there past experience's on what I should expect. Will there be a large attendance?
Are there lots of venders? Gun reps? Other things to do while in the area.

Tell me the good and bad. Thanks ~ Mich

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
At one time there were tons of vendors and factory reps-no more. In spite of that you'll likely enjoy the experience. Bring both Summer and Winter clothing but don't forget the raingear-you may need all of those in the same week. Do your best to squad on bank 6 all week. That leaves more opportunities for all the rest of us to shoot elsewhere. No shortage of lodging or great restaurants if you like to eat. If you like Greek head to the sponge docks on alternate RT. 19.

At times it does get crowded but squadding has not been an issue for several years. You will be able to shoot the entire program if you prefer.

Club board meetings at the bar everyday at 4PM and lasting quite long sometimes. It won't hurt to bring a fishing rod as the lake has some nice bass. If you can't enjoy yourself at the Dollar it might be best to try Sparta next Summer. Then you can relate your experiences to all for evaluation!!

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I'll be perching my motorhome there on feb 15th and will shoot all of the March shoots. This year will be my 6th Southern Grand. My motorhome spot is by the trap practice range and next to the lake so I'll bring my tackle. The vendors will be about 4 gunsmiths, about three eyeglass vendors including Dr. Frank, and about three or four gun sales and a couple odds and ends. Fast moving shooting. Pretty good weather last year but remains unpredictable. Great eateries up and down State Rd. 19. Yankees Spring Training not far away. Pretty good golfing area. Not a lot of options money. Medium attendance I suppose depends on the nasty weather up North. (Should be big this year). A lot of friends and TS.com'rs. Great Time!

blade819

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
MY B.I.L. just returned from Florida for a 3 week stay.

He said in one day, they had 7 inches of rain, and a neighboring City had 11 inches in the same day.

He said streets were flooded, and traffic was about to a standstill.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I attended the 2013 Southern Grand and it my first trip to the Silver Dollar. Had a great time. Weather was decent - certainly better than the snowstorm we left our home time in. Nice targets, well run shoot and nice people.

Banks 2 and 3 were my favourite to shoot. Banks 1 and 5 are OK. Didn't like Bank 6. 4 is not bad. Just my opinion.

I thought there was a good variety of vendors, gunsmiths and gun manufacturers. Food was decent also and better on the gun club side.

You'll have a good time.

A. Bassan
Newfoundland, Canada

·
Registered
613 Posts
Definitely pre-squad. I have been in the Tampa area since 10-27, there has been no more than showers. The Fla State is the week after The Southern Grand. If you don't know, the Dollar also is a golf club. Not much different than a state shoot as vendors go. Seldom any Industry Rep.s. Most dinner options are along US 19 west of the club, several good places in Tarpon Springs near the sponge docks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts