Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially to new shooters. Don't listen to someone's opinion on what they think you should do. Do what you feel comfortable with and have fun doing it. There are plenty good people in this sport that will help and teach you, if you ask. I have a problem with the other kind of people that doesn't even shoot ATA and think they are the know all be all answer to everything.
So in short, just have fun and enjoy the sport and the many new friends you will make for a life time... Tim

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Tim speaks too wisely to be a Bigbaby. He's right, enjoy the sport and the people you'll meet along the way. Shoot well and often, best wishes for a healthy New Year.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I think you can learn to shoot trap without belonging to the ATA, and your local State org. I am sure that the original post didn't mean for it to sound that way.

That's just my HO

Rick in MT

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
I don't think Bigbaby meant it that way.

When you are shooting ATA targets, you are paying more for the targets, and if you are playing the options there is additional pressure to perform. And, all your scores are recorded. In fact at most ATA shoots, your scores are posted for all to see. Dealing with that pressure is part of the game.

You can also shoot 300 targets a day. Dealing with the fatigue and sometimes pain is also another pressure factor you may not expeience in league and practice shooting.

Controlling your mind and the pressure event after event for 3-4 consecutive days can be as important as gun fit and POI.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Examples. All examples. Everyone is free to read or read into whatever they want. I'm not giving advice for I am one of few people who will admit I know nothing , but always willing to learn.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Although I appreciate the points of view expressed above, I must say that the threads here that I enjoy the most are those that truly deal with trapshooting. I enjoy debates over hold points, handicap loads, proper stance, etc. They are far, far better than political rants which are generally preaching to the choir! And I have learned not to even open a thread about 3 hole targets or how much better the sport was back when! Heck, I am even novice enough to enjoy 7and a half vs. 8s! Martinpicker

·
Registered
68 Posts
"I've listened to preachers, I've listened to fools. I've watched all the dropouts who make their own rules."

I listen a lot. Doesn't mean I follow their advice. I like to think I can glean a little bit of knowledge from everyone. I may think they are 100% full of crap and I will learn not to listen to them or do the exact opposite. I learn who I can ask for help if I need it or have a particular question.

The people who don't listen will continue to struggle and continue to make excuses.

My favorites are the people who just say they don't care, they are just having fun(There is some truth in having fun, but don't you want to better yourself?). Reminds me of the kids who did absolutely nothing in school and failed. Then the kids who slept a lot turned in a paper with their name on it and got a passing grade. It doesn't take that much more effort into trying.

Listening, adjusting to fit you, and practice will show eventually.

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
Setterman nailed it. If you don't care then it doesn't matter. Shooting an ATA event is a measurement of your success in being competitive and a measure of your ability. I have seen shooters who shoot 25 straight, set down, BS for 15 minutes go back out and break another 25 and take a break, go back out and break 25 and then repeat and end up breaking 100 targets and then into the club house and expect a 100 straight badge. The same shooters have never come close in a ATA event.

So who is the better shooter the practice shooter or the one who competes.

Don

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
The mysterious 3 hole target is a fig newton of Dr Longwinds imagination and secret late nite fantasy, fanned by a panting desire to bring them back to ATA shooting.(to date over 30+ threads on the subject)

Just shoot'em.....and quit trying to define them.

If you still want some unsolicited advice, I refer you to Dr Longwinds latest "expert-in-chief" post for new shooters.

"New shooters, you should shoot an 80/20 POI"

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Having over 50 years experience of trap shooting , I find games shooting will put as much or more pressure on you as any registered shooting. My experience after over 150,000 registered targets and probably that many games targets. I have shot with many games shooters who are as good or better than many ATA shooters

Clyde

1 - 18 of 18 Posts