Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've got on the habit of peeking down the bore before every shot just for safety's sake.
Easy to do. Should have started doing it years ago.
.....Anyway.. I notice that maybe once every couple rounds the bore will look extremely sooty, like its smoked or coated.
After the next shot it's gone with just the normal debris left.
Wondering why the occasional shell would do this?
The sound and results seem normal.
I have been using up some older 700x.
Maybe when I get back to using new powder it'll stop?
Anyone else ever seen this?
Bill

·
Registered
22,897 Posts
Lately I've got on the habit of peeking down the bore before every shot just for safety's sake.
Easy to do. Should have started doing it years ago.
.....Anyway.. I notice that maybe once every couple rounds the bore will look extremely sooty, like its smoked or coated.
After the next shot it's gone with just the normal debris left.
Wondering why the occasional shell would do this?
The sound and results seem normal.
I have been using up some older 700x.
Maybe when I get back to using new powder it'll stop?
Anyone else ever seen this?
Bill

Yes. I had a 12 lb keg of 700X that was bought in 1981 that I loaded and shot two years ago. Some loadings burned fine others left a flake or two of unburned powder and partially burned yellow indicator flakes behind. Some left a residue that looked a bit like fine sand.

But. That keg got me 2 100 straights and a singles average ( for a minute ) of 98.37 over 1000 targets.

If you shoot factory loads, Winchester leaves a sandy residue and if a shell 'bloops' it looks like a smear of gravel and mud in the bbl. Remington leaves a few flakes once in a while and turns the business end of your bbls white. Federal leaves a flake now and then too. Win seems to always leave that residue behind but the other two American premium shells are intermittent. Doesn't hurt anything but your cleaning schedule.

Don T

1 - 5 of 5 Posts