Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lead or Mercury??

For your reading pleasure!!

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/13/energy-efficient-lightbulbs-could-pose-uv-risk-to-skin-trigger-migraines/

Its ok, the Feds only wants whats best for you!! Your to stupid to know!!

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
The really stupid thing about CFLs is that a lot of people complain they don't last the claimed five year life span. When you complain, the question comes up on how you are using them. If upside down in a ceiling fixture, we're told that these bulbs are not designed for such fixtures, because it causes the base to heat up more and kill the internal electronics. So now you're told you need to install even more costly LED bulbs in them.

And now we find out that CFLs have been causing fires. Instead of burning out like ordinary bulbs, some burn up, causing fires. Swell, just the kind of bulb I want for lighting up the house for security when I'm not around.

On top of that, we're told each bulb is hazmat. If one breaks it causes mercury contamination. A local government public service scolding, er, announcement, says that one CFL thrown in the trash will contaminate a thousand tons of garbage. How do you contaminate garbage? It's garbage! And do we want something that hazardous in our homes? I doubt my home weighs a thousand tons. So we're supposed to recycle them. But there is no vehicle in place to recycle.

Just another gov.org law jammed down our throats.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You tell em. I have those CFLs in my basement. They, replaced the 100watt incandescent bulbs I formerly had down stairs. Now because they don't light up to full right away, I have to go down stairs turn them on, then go back upstairs and wait for em to reach full light. They may be more energy eff. but if I have to let em "warm up" for 20 minutes how is that saving energy?

Brian, didn't hear that some burn up instead of burning out. Now that is scary.

Now don't get me started on ethanol. Government - the self proclaimed smartest in the room crowd. They know everything but don't do anything or produce anything.

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh but they DO, Bisi

Government is the biggest producer of BS! and have unlimited money to keep it going!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
timerfaller, so true! I guess we can add hurdles and roadblocks to jump over and hoops to jump through that they produce.

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hurdles,roadblocks and hoops are:

Every agency that is recognized by their Alphabets!!

Way to many to list!!!

And ALL, are no longer needed.

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Just another stupid law that the green lobbyists, and probably the light bulb manufactures paid off enough of our distinguished lawmakers to screw us

But on a side note, 3-4 years ago we were installing a new HVAC system for a lady and she asked me if I could get rid of 40 lbs of mercury that her uncle for some reason had in his house she had bought after his death, I said sure figuring it had some value to it, the damn stuff was like typhoid fever, no body would touch it, they would gladly charge me to take it away, then I had a light bulb moment, $hit they use it in recoil reducers, so I sold it to one in Nebraska. But the shipping would have broke me because it has to be shipped in special containers by truck freight only. But it all worked out we were going to go to Iowa that summer for my 40th grad reunion (first one I had ever been to and it will be my last, weird how all the kids you grew up with looked like a bunch of old farts LOL)and I dropped it off on the way through, well it was a ways out of our way, but at least somebody is using it

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I was looking for a few cubic inches of mercury for science projects for the kids but do you think I could find any? NoooOOOoooo. Hazmat fees, special containers, etc. We wanted to make thermometers and barometers with them.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
"They may be more energy eff. but if I have to let em "warm up" for 20 minutes how is that saving energy?"

You must have slow electricity at your house as it only take about 2 minutes for mine to reach full brightness. By the way there are different levels of brightness as in soft white, daylite,etc. etc in the CFL bulbs.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I have never had much luck with the CFL bulbs. I HATE the color spectrum. I did have one go to smoke in my bathroom fixture. I do not think it would have
"burned the house down" but it sure was stinky.

I tried 4 of the LED bulbs in my front bathroom. $14 each! Supposed to last for ever, two of them failed in just a few months. They turn on fast with no warm up, but the light is really harsh. You can see every whisker you miss when you shave.
I have been reading about the color specrum on LED bulbs being to close to tanning bulbs and maybe hazardous to you skin.

I think the newer technologies have a long way to go to get a decent quality of light at a good price. Because of the government trying to jam this alternate lighting technology down out throats, conventional light bulbs are no longer made in the USA. The ones from Mexico, China, Hungry and Taiwan are not the quality and they do not last as long either. Since Westinghouse quit making the best bulbs years ago, I had stuck with GE, because they used to be good. I do not even fool with the no name junk.

I am sure the market would develop better lights in time, but the government trying to ram rod this is making way more problems than solutions.

·
Premium Member
18,864 Posts
Those cork screw light bulbs last about 2 months in my henhouse, and then they are out. Also, don't get me on ethanol gas. It's BS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts