Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Jaybirds with Deccillibuz moldable ear buds. I've been reading about the new Sony XM4 Noice Cancelling Ear buds.......I've looked at all the videos but nobody has talked about using them in something like a trap environment. They do have passive as well as active noise cancellation.

Looking to see if anyone has used these or the older XM3 ear buds? If so, can you give me your opinion for trap. Thanks.

· Registered
15,223 Posts
Noise canceling is NOT the same as noise protection. It simply feeds you an inverted waveform to cancel out the noticed noise, it's still there just not apparent to you. I just looked on Sonys website for the XM4 and see no NRR rating, so it is quite likely they provide you the same level of protection from gunfire as wearing nothing at all.

Cancelling noise is hard – like, REALLY hard. There are only a few headsets that actually cancel noise, and NONE of them are considered a hearing protector. Try to find a Noise Reduction Rating* (NRR) on the Bose Quiet Comforts– you can’t, because they aren’t hearing protectors. They are designed to give you a high fidelity listening experience while reducing lower frequency sounds, but they will not protect your hearing in really loud noisy environments. In fact, they could actually increase chances for hearing loss if used in a noisy environment dominated by high frequencies.

· Registered
15,223 Posts
Since the actually have a NRR, yes.

They don't seem to have a pass-though for ambient sound and a cutoff for gun shots like the more expensive purpose-designed electronic ear plugs, so unless you plan on listening to music while you shoot they don't offer any advantage over regular ear plugs.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I use Jaybirds with Deccillibuz moldable ear buds. I've been reading about the new Sony XM4 Noice Cancelling Ear buds.......I've looked at all the videos but nobody has talked about using them in something like a trap environment. They do have passive as well as active noise cancellation.

Looking to see if anyone has used these or the older XM3 ear buds? If so, can you give me your opinion for trap. Thanks.
I own a set of XM3s. Excellent earbuds for consuming music. Pretty good at noise isolation, but they accomplish that with ear canal foams. Cancellation is a different topic as @skeet_man explained. For example, I tried using the XM3s on the tractor for a pass at the lawn when I first bought them. They weren’t up to the job with no active cancellation. So I wouldn’t recommend them at the trap line. Just my opinion.

· Registered
209 Posts
Check out the AXIL GS Electronic and the GS Extreme. Both have a 29 Db NRR with foam tips. Both enhance background sounds so you can hear others talk while wearing them. I used the GS Electronic for a couple years and when they quit taking a charge I switched to the GS Extreme which has Bluetooth connectivity. www.goaxil.com

· Registered
60 Posts
Noise canceling is NOT the same as noise protection. It simply feeds you an inverted waveform to cancel out the noticed noise, it's still there just not apparent to you. I just looked on Sonys website for the XM4 and see no NRR rating, so it is quite likely they provide you the same level of protection from gunfire as wearing nothing at all.

Cancelling noise is hard – like, REALLY hard. There are only a few headsets that actually cancel noise, and NONE of them are considered a hearing protector. Try to find a Noise Reduction Rating* (NRR) on the Bose Quiet Comforts– you can’t, because they aren’t hearing protectors. They are designed to give you a high fidelity listening experience while reducing lower frequency sounds, but they will not protect your hearing in really loud noisy environments. In fact, they could actually increase chances for hearing loss if used in a noisy environment dominated by high frequencies.
Thanks for the detailed response. My son is actually using Bose Quite Comforts and now I would need to investigate and figure out what to replace it with. Hearing loss due to inadequate protection is a serious problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.