Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 year old son is shooting trap with a club team this year and he will be getting braces. I'm guessing these will impact his shooting. I'd hate to see him develop bad form due to the braces. Anyone with any experience with this have any suggestions?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven't shot with braces and am only a couple years into my trap career but unless he is already having trouble with face recoil I don't think it would change his shooting too much. And if it does I feel as if it could be easily fixed with a recoil system or soft comb, just my thoughts. I wish I started shooting that young, best of luck.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
My kid just got his braces off. He shot for two years with them. He wore a regular sports mouthguard from the orthodontist. No issues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My son shot thru the braces process. He didn't like the mouth guard and at times would get sore and bleed. Didn't seem to effect his shooting. I sure miss those days! Have when they are young, they grow up way too fast!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Your orthondontist will provide some wax strips with his braces. The wax is kind of a pain to remove from your braces but it will take the bite out of the recoil . After he shoots with the wax strips a couple of times it becomes a non issue. You can purchase the wax strips at most drug stores for a couple of bucks.

I hope this helps,

Bill Sergent

·
Registered
619 Posts
No first hand experience other than having shot an 870 that made the inside of my mouth raw after a few rounds of 25 but, it did show me the importance of gun fit. I would first make sure the gun fit him well. If that means a different gun/modified stock, it would be worth it if he plans to shoot a lot.

Secondly I would advise some type of mouth guard, wax strips or sports mouth guard. If using the rubber sports mouth guard, I would suggest cutting it in half so you only protect the side on the stock. He may find that he only needs the top half of the guard as well. I know when I was shooting that 870, it didn't bother the lower part of my face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts