Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belong to quite a few different FB groups, one of which is one guy who is converting General Motors Electro Motive Division negatives into digital pictures. EMD was the branch of GM that made locomotives. So yea...I'm a train geek.

This is one from 1939 at a EMD plant. They had a trap range installed behind the plant! It looks like they have two separate fields that are sort of attached but facing different directions.

Cloud Sky Tree Tints and shades Landscape

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Some companies used had Trap ranges on their property. A tire plant in Union City TN., when the plant was Goodyear , had their own trap range.

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
That's cool! I work on an army base that has a golf course. Everyday I drive past it and imagine a trap field there instead!
Lots of military bases used to have Trap and Skeet ranges. Although many have been closed down some still do. Wright -Patterson AFB in OH. and Ft. Rucker AL. are two examples. There was a post on here awhile back listing the bases that still do.

·
5,826 Posts
Some of the old timers would tell of shooting for EMD in Illinois... great pic, clearly shows the push pull pipe.

When traveling south, I could shoot at FT Rucker when visiting family in Geneva and Coffee counties... nice set up with Trap, Skeet and 5 Stand...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I worked for the Budd Company - Railcard Div. in the early 1980’s. No recreation of any kind. The management there hated the union.

Water Train Vehicle Sky Window

·
Premium Member
12,705 Posts
Some companies used had Trap ranges on their property. A tire plant in Union City TN., when the plant was Goodyear , had their own trap range.
Wasn't unusual at all. I can think of several companies here locally that had, maybe still have, their own trap ranges. Others had active trap teams. Certainly a lot more active before my time here but remember, Omaha is the city where the Park District operates a trap range with 13 traps. Right in the center of town.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I worked for the Budd Company - Railcard Div. in the early 1980’s. No recreation of any kind. The management there hated the union.

View attachment 1784670
Worked at the stamping and frame division in the 80's and 90's........we had a volley ball net we set up at lunchtime LOL That lasted till someone twisted an ankle and missed a few days of work.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Worked at the stamping and frame division
This is what is happen at Red Lion Road in NE Philly. This was the site of a WWII aircraft factory prior to the rail car factory.

Property Ecoregion Nature World Land lot

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Back in the 1970s, when deployed in the Med, you could buy Beretta shotguns through the ship’s store, avoiding some of the stateside taxes. I remember guys shooting trap off the side of the flight deck during some of those Med cruises on the old Independence.

Reactions: acorange and DONNE

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is what is happen at Red Lion Road in NE Philly. This was the site of a WWII aircraft factory prior to the rail car factory.

View attachment 1784671
I know that area very well. Still go by there frequently and used to archery hunt the property behind the old air strip that was not owned by Budd. Watched the golf course go up then the new home development. The old plant in tioga nicetown where I worked is now partially owned by Temple University Hospital and the machine shop (tank shop during the war) is being converted to bio medical research and development. Family had a long history dating back to when Mr. Budd started out in 1913. Back then it was one of the best jobs in the city until it was sold broken up and as you pointed out management and union couldn't agree on most anything. Still lots of good memories there.............

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Many years ago there was a Dow Chemical Plant located at the edge of our community. There was a trap range on it. That company has long since vacated the site but on good authority I’m pretty sure there was never a lead clean up. That, however, may be less of a concern than the toxic chemicals that were rumored to have been placed in a landfill on the site. The Town actually owns the property now and is trying to sell commercial lots for business development. Sure hope the EPA doesn’t have an open file that somebody happens to run across someday. If so, the Town fathers may be looking at a huge remediation issue and a listing in a Superfund list.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That is a cool old picture. Looks like they had a dedicated singles/doubles trap, and one for handicap, singles and doubles. Those were the days, that will likely never be again. Sad, to say the least, but a great example of what this country and the people, were a few generations back. There were a number of industrial shoots several a few decades back too. Some companies actually promoted shooting and their company team winning those shoots. Middletown Sportman's Club in Middletown, Ohio, hosted a number of industrial shoots.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lots of old time Downers Grove members shot at EMD,including GAH winner Herman Welch. I believe it closed in the late 70s/early 80s, but don’t know for sure. I shot skeet at Ft. Riley when my son was a Lt. and also at Ft Bragg when there was only a skeet field next to a rifle range.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Robert's Dairy in Omaha had their own range and shot employee leagues at the range when my dad need hulls he would just put it in with the store's milk order within a week the delivery truck would have a milk crate of hulls free of charge with the next delivery of dairy products.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's cool! I work on an army base that has a golf course. Everyday I drive past it and imagine a trap field there instead!
Back in the early mid 80’s I used to shoot skeet at North Island naval base. Lots of good times. Used to shoot trap at Great Lakes Naval base before that. In the spring and summer when it FINALLY warmed up.

Here are some related products that Trapshooters Forum members are talking about.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts