Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popcorn time again: (what else have we got to do??)
In the first few years at Sparta, I joined a friend, Mr Rudy Anthony of Granada Ms, who came in his camper.
Rudy had a bad accident in the mid 60's and was confined to a wheel chair. But, it didn't slow him down and he never wanted any concessions given. It was a few years before he would let me carry any of his gear or help him up inclines or over rough terrain.
I met him one morning at Sparta and he said he had lost his wallet. He thought while at the public restroom. We looked inside and out...no wallet. We went to "Lost and Found"...nothing turned in, checked every day..nothing. He was without id, money, drivers licenses, anything. He said not to worry he had enough gas and food to get home on. I had to MAKE him take some money just in case. I got the same bills back later when I saw him at home. Rudy being Rudy, said no big deal, "with what I live with this is just an annoyance".
About a week goes by and he calls. He had the wallet with EVERYTHING (almost $1000) in it returned by registered mail. The people who found it would not give it to "Lost and Found" because they were afraid something might "go wrong". Added to that they had gone to Disney World after the Grand for an extended vacation. Diring that time they took the time to call the Miss. Highway Patrol to confirm Rudy's address, and paid to mail it to him. NOW THAT'S CLASS!!!
They could not have known Rudy was a wheel shooter. I sent them a letter from our Ms. B.O.D., Delegate and and picture of Rudy with our thanks.
I can but imagine their surprise to find out who they had helped. But that is not why they did it....they are just GOOD PEPOLE!!
There are a lot of them amoung us.
What's your story??
Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great story Jim. That's what I like about trap shooters. Most of them are class acts and would do anything for you without expecting anything in return. Too bad the rest of the world today is not more like that!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Not too long after I starting to shoot ATA, the top lever spring broke on my Charles Daly/ BC Miroku. The gun had acted up at the NJ State Shoot, I had been set to go to the PA State shoot a few weeks later. Now I had no trap gun. I was going to go up anyway and see if there was a gunsmith willing to look at or repair the Daly and peruse the wares for a new or new to me gun.

@Clay8T loaned me his Browning so not only could I take care of business, I could shoot any events I had time for. That will never be forgotten. Thanks, man!

·
Vendor
1,413 Posts
Popcorn time again: (what else have we got to do??)
In the first few years at Sparta, I joined a friend, Mr Rudy Anthony of Granada Ms, who came in his camper.
Rudy had a bad accident in the mid 60's and was confined to a wheel chair. But, it didn't slow him down and he never wanted any concessions given. It was a few years before he would let me carry any of his gear or help him up inclines or over rough terrain.
I met him one morning at Sparta and he said he had lost his wallet. He thought while at the public restroom. We looked inside and out...no wallet. We went to "Lost and Found"...nothing turned in, checked every day..nothing. He was without id, money, drivers licenses, anything. He said not to worry he had enough gas and food to get home on. I had to MAKE him take some money just in case. I got the same bills back later when I saw him at home. Rudy being Rudy, said no big deal, "with what I live with this is just an annoyance".
About a week goes by and he calls. He had the wallet with EVERYTHING (almost $1000) in it returned by registered mail. The people who found it would not give it to "Lost and Found" because they were afraid something might "go wrong". Added to that they had gone to Disney World after the Grand for an extended vacation. Diring that time they took the time to call the Miss. Highway Patrol to confirm Rudy's address, and paid to mail it to him. NOW THAT'S CLASS!!!
They could not have known Rudy was a wheel shooter. I sent them a letter from our Ms. B.O.D., Delegate and and picture of Rudy with our thanks.
I can but imagine their surprise to find out who they had helped. But that is not why they did it....they are just GOOD PEPOLE!!
There are a lot of them amoung us.
What's your story??
Jim
Great story Jim.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not too long after I starting to shoot ATA, the top lever spring broke on my Charles Daly/ BC Miroku. The gun had acted up at the NJ State Shoot, I had been set to go to the PA State shoot a few weeks later. Now I had no trap gun. I was going to go up anyway and see if there was a gunsmith willing to look at or repair the Daly and peruse the wares for a new or new to me gun.

@Clay8T loaned me his Browning so not only could I take care of business, I could shoot any events I had time for. That will never be forgotten. Thanks, man!
Was glad to do it my friend.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I to had the privilege to know Rudy before his passing and was somewhat introduced to reloading through Rudy. He was a class act and he knew guns as well as anyone I have ever met. He refinished a gun (22 pump) years ago that belonged to my father when he was a chap. Rudy done a spectacular job on refinishing that gun and I am now the owner/keeper of said gun and often times my daughter gets it out to go shoot and enjoys that gun. Rudy was great man and would do anything for anyone in need he was one of the great trap shooters. Thanks for the story and remembrance of a great gentleman.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Jim and Jack - yes indeed Rudy was one of the good guys. I knew him for several years and always enjoyed visiting him in his shop in Grenada or on the trap field, absolutely one of the good guys. And, as with many other shooters, there are other stories of adventures with Rudy that could be told...….

Yes Jim, there are many very good people (friendly people, honest people, generous people - etc.) in our sport. I remember one time a shooter borrowed a gun to shoot at the Grand - while there the gun was left on a rack behind the field and "forgot about" for a while --- luckily a nice honest gentleman carried the gun to lost and found. And the people in lost and found were honest/nice enough to let the gentle who had borrowed the gun have it on his word it was his...… good people all around.

·
Vendor
882 Posts
We have a youth team and Frank Bentley dropped off shells for the entire team one week. Not a small team, 55 kids at a couple boxes each. Really nice of him!!!

We also have a coaching / volunteer staff of about 13 who come out week after week for nothing more than a pat on the back!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Jim,
I've been the recipient of good deeds from some people in your state.
Went to the Mississippi State Shoot back in the 70s with my good friend Ray Riha. The shoot was held across the river in Vidalia, Louisiana.
We had a great time and after the shoot was over we hung around and had a few beers . Two days later after we got back home to Birmingham, I realized that I didn't have my gun. By the end of the day, somebody from the club had tacked us down and found a phone number to Ray's business and my gun was returned the next day.
Trapshooters are great.

Snookassassin, Clif Adams

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks for the story Jim,I may set this year out due to the virus and the thing I will miss the most will be the old timers even thou I'm 65 I enjoy their company.Not only good people but Great People!!!!!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
At the NSSA World shoot in 1975 I'd driven down to San Antonio from Toronto with some Canadian friends and somehow got talking to one of the US Navy team guys near the clubhouse. He could tell I was English from my accent and we got talking about all manner of things. He asked me what events I was shooting. I told him just the International one (Olympic skeet) because I was there to help out as a field referee. Being new to the ground I asked him where I could buy ammunition. He immediately said, "Don't bother...........you can have a case (500) of our Federal papers because we've got plenty". I thanked him profusely and attempted to pay but he just wouldn't hear of it. There are some really nice people in the shooting fraternity!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts