Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share this article with you M1 fans. Unless you have a collector item, this article offers a few suggestions to make you M1 a little more modern, including a way to shoot loads other than the 147 grain military round without damaging your operating rod. The synthetic stock mentioned is something I put on mine which improved looks 100 percent. I also have a new Boyd’s wood set that can help make your gun look less ugly if wood has been beaten up badly. This article is not for the purest.

Building a Modernized M1 Garand

·
Registered
975 Posts
Rick
Great article ! The Grand collectors magazine current issue has a article about using modern ammo in the M1 that is very informative. This issue also includes a story of the enbloc clip loading machine that the CMP has acquired. Also a very informative piece if you have access to the magazine. Great rifle to own, shoot and compete with.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thought I would share this article with you M1 fans. Unless you have a collector item, this article offers a few suggestions to make you M1 a little more modern, including a way to shoot loads other than the 147 grain military round without damaging your operating rod. The synthetic stock mentioned is something I put on mine which improved looks 100 percent. I also have a new Boyd’s wood set that can help make your gun look less ugly if wood has been beaten up badly. This article is not for the purest.

Building a Modernized M1 Garand
Hey Ricky, will any of these parts fit on your Lujtic? It could use some help in the looks department too.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Ricky, will any of these parts fit on your Lujtic? It could use some help in the looks department too.
No, but I found some interchangeable parts from a TriStar that dressed it up very nicely. Some guy offered me 10 grand for it. How are you and Jan holding up during this time? Lucky you out in the wilderness.

D1D7F3F7-9F5E-469B-8564-82AF5BE60070.jpeg

Here are my two Springfields. The top one I got from a South Korea arsenal and I put on the synthetic stock. The bottom one is late post war Springfield production I inherited from my Dad. It appears brand new, no dings or scratches. I plan to put the Boyd stock on this one.

Reactions: buck3200

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Just for information: In the 1960's The USAF Marksmanship School and USAF Rifle Team used M1's that had been converted to 308 since the AF didn't have M 14's, as did the Army and the Marines. From testing they had determined the NM 308 was a better cartridge than the NM 30-06.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Used to shoot CMP service rifle then later got hooked on the clay sports.
I traded my Garand for a hunting Citori.
I will always regret letting go of that gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts