Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Well known trouble maker
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us do. But there are forum members here who no longer shoot. They would love to, but they can't; some physical aspect has taken away the ability. They are still Trap Shooters. And in many ways, some of the most dedicated.

Most of us came here for knowledge. Some came for the classified section. No one came here to see the nonsense that I post. They didn't journey here to see you either. Shooting trap, that alone was the draw.

Do you stop being a trapshooter when you no longer are able to shoot? Tricky question, eh? If you no longer shoot does that make you a “former” trapshooter? Of course. But I like to think the forum members here who contribute and pass along their knowledge are still “trapshooters” even if they no longer shoot. They are ambassadors of our sport. They personify what it means to be a “trapshooter.”

We have all watched shooters we knew fade from the sport. Some for physical reasons, many, if not most, just seemed to have lost interest. There are a host of other reasons, no need to name them here. But every club I visit to shoot seems to have someone who no longer shoots but is most active, usually helping to run the place.

It seems to be the same here at this (as George likes to reference) virtual clubhouse. They don't go out of their way to publicize the fact they no longer shoot. But if you hang around here long enough, you know who they are. And they are some of the best contributors regardless of topic.

So to you forum members who continue to participate in our sport after your shooting days have ended, I salute you.

You are true TRAPSHOOTERS!

Automotive lighting Font Electric blue Space Event

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Most of us do. But there are forum members here who no longer shoot. They would love to, but they can't; some physical aspect has taken away the ability. They are still Trap Shooters. And in many ways, some of the most dedicated.

Most of us came here for knowledge. Some came for the classified section. No one came here to see the nonsense that I post. They didn't journey here to see you either. Shooting trap, that alone was the draw.

Do you stop being a trapshooter when you no longer are able to shoot? Tricky question, eh? If you no longer shoot does that make you a “former” trapshooter? Of course. But I like to think the forum members here who contribute and pass along their knowledge are still “trapshooters” even if they no longer shoot. They are ambassadors of our sport. They personify what it means to be a “trapshooter.”

We have all watched shooters we knew fade from the sport. Some for physical reasons, many, if not most, just seemed to have lost interest. There are a host of other reasons, no need to name them here. But every club I visit to shoot seems to have someone who no longer shoots but is most active, usually helping to run the place.

It seems to be the same here at this (as George likes to reference) virtual clubhouse. They don't go out of their way to publicize the fact they no longer shoot. But if you hang around here long enough, you know who they are. And they are some of the best contributors regardless of topic.

So to you forum members who continue to participate in our sport after your shooting days have ended, I salute you.

View attachment 1819819
Well said Doc and so True.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What Dogbest wrote fits my Dad perfectly! He doesn’t shoot much any longer, only when the weather is nice. He loves being around it so much though that at almost 90 he gets out to the gun clubs a few times a week! Sitting on a stool now he can still run 25 occasionally and will help a fellow shooter when asked. My wife broke her first 25 straight in league last week and he was SO proud and happy for her. Enjoy those guys when you can around the club, you never know how long you will be able to.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
For a moment, I thought Doc was writing about me! I loved shooting trap - I spent almost every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening at a local club shooting in leagues or just practice and weekends at registered shoots. But not long after I became half-decent at trapshooting (multiple 200s, Class AA champion at my state shoot and punched to the 27), shoulder problems set in. Both rotator cuffs are torn and inoperable, making mounting a ten-pound gun so painful that I pull the gun down before I can release the trigger. After being able to break 100s easily, not being able to manage better than a score in the low 90s and spending an hour after arriving home taking and applying pain meds took the fun out of it. Now being 75 years old makes a lot of things hurt!

I stopped shooting competitively in 2006 and would venture out now and then but finally quit completely in 2008. To prevent me from trying any more, I sold my last combo to a senior vet shooter from Delaware. I kept my mid-1980s Remingtons - an 870TC with Custom Shop wood and an 1100TT with an extra Hastings high-rib barrel - because you can't buy new ones like them any longer but they haven't been out of their Warwick cases (remember them?) in 16 years. I drive past my club's trap fields on my way to our rifle ranges and sometimes stop to watch people shooting trap. When I see someone miss a target because of a flaw in their mechanics or other obvious mistake, I think of stopping to offer advice but since very few of them, if any, know me or my former ability, they would probably suggest I mind my own business.

I've been a contributing editor for Shotgun Sports Magazine for 20 years and was a columnist for Trap & Field for four years before that but no longer being active in the sport makes it tough to come up with what I hope are interesting topics these days. However I receive a lot of very complimentary reader mail that I enjoy and from which I often can extract topics. I am considering joining the trap committee at a local club to help sign shooters up and/or score squads but worry about being drawn back into shooting again. I do miss it but benchrest rifle shooting has been a good substitute.

Good thread Doc!

Ed

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I will be 72 tomorrow and between a bad neck due to a car accident(not my fault), arthritis and now my right shoulder getting worse , I am a lefty, Thank God, I am not sure how much longer I will be shooting. Some days I shoot pretty decent and others not so good. I am going to shhot as long as I can or until my scores areconsistently terrible.

Some o fus know when to quit and others don't, hopeI am one that does.

·
Registered
Perazzi TMS w/ Wilkinson tuned barrel & PFS stock
132 Posts

View attachment 1819819
Great post Doc. Every minute we get doing what we love should be treasured, we'll never know when it's our time to put the shotgun away for the last time.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Doc,

My wife and I cannot shoot any more due to health reasons, BUT we still enjoy doing show and tells at our club meetings.

Two months ago, showing the Rifle Smooth Bore Shotguns at one meeting of the club.

Some old, and some new members, had no idea what I was showing, and never had seen a smooth bore rifle before.

One older gentleman looked at the end of the Remington Model 510 barrel and said to my wife: "that's not a .22, that just a .410".

Wish we had a camara shot of the look on his face when she asked him to look at the breach. Then a great conversation ensued. LOL

The likes of Randy, Drew, Whiz, and Kenny Ray are teaching me things every day I never knew.

Never too old to pass on history of shotgun shooting.

Chair Crowd Social group T-shirt Community

They got a kick out of the Mini-Quail Trap by Black Products (Take off of Mo-Skeet-O), and the Dove Rock trap and targets.

Many never knew of the Mossberg Targo set,

This is what keeps us going.

Table Furniture Wood Interior design Flooring

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your post is pretty close to home for me. I’m 69. I still shoot but the time is coming when I won’t be able too.

Having the older shooters at the clubs provides a ton of information and support for new and older shooters.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I like the term "virtual clubhouse". :D

Anyways, I'm not too old to shoot or anything like that, but I do love the diversity here at TS when it comes to our differing levels of skill in the sport. There's some who are just starting. There's some like me who are just casual and don't take it too seriously. And there's some who live and bleed trap shooting.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Great post, Doc! When I was 25-35 and shooting as much as possible I never thought about it being over with. Now, t the body is pushing me toward the end and it sucks! So I shoot a few practice rounds and 1 league night each week and be content. A lot of great friendships made and a lot of wonderful memories.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts