Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update - according to Danny at Giacomo (& Rich Bullard here), this is an MX-2-L barrel! Here's more info that I found on those guns: Perazzi MX – 2 – L was designed and built for “Olympic Trap” 29 ½ inch barrels. The MX-2-L had a non-selective trigger firing the top barrel first. The gun comes with a detachable trigger system; spares kit including spare firing pins and spare V - springs both the gun and spares kit are cased. This model is rare as the production run quoted by Perazzi for this model was approx. 1000 guns in total world wide. The MX-2-L shot very flat. The model production was started in 1982 in preparation for the 1984 Olympics. The model MX-2-L was made between 1982 and 1986.

This barrel is a little less common since it came without side ribs.

Very cool. $1800.00

Folks - here's a beautiful 29.5" O/U barrel, maybe from a DB 81 or a Pigeon gun or other? Type IV, No side ribs. I bought it here on TS last year and Kerry Allor installed it on my MX 2000 early this year. I have the receipt for your inspection and you could call to verify with him if desired. He had to laser weld a new lug and you can see it is marked '.015'. The barrel was not reblued following this work and there are a few discoloration marks around the lug area, but these are covered by the forend wood.

This barrel was not fitted with a center bead from the factory. It has the original white bead. The rib is about 13 mm tall measured from the top of the top barrel to the top of the rib and 11 mm wide and the machine marking on top the rib is perfect - the top of the rib is very slightly concave the entire length and not one speck of rust, beautiful. The barrel was ported before I bought it. It was fitted with Briley thinwall flushmount chokes before I bought it: M, IM, LM, F. Bores are bright & shiny!!!

Needless to say, it shoots great and there no issues. Weighs 3 lbs, 5 ounces. (The heavy barrel on my MX 2000 skeet gun weighs 4lbs 1 ounce - so this barrel is on the non-heavy side for it's rib configuration.

Markings on the barrel and mono block: (There are no Importer markings on this barrel). Left side, upper barrel, aft: Perazzi spa - MADE IN BRESCIA ITALY. 18,4 on upper and lower barrel; ACCIAIO SPECIAL on bottom of bottom barrel in front of mono block; assorted marks on bottom of mono block: L, FINITO with a 'star' on top, an 'AI' in a square box, a light-struck coat of arms and some light-struck indistinguishable numerals .

CAM 70 two stars and 18,4 on upper barrel near the mono block
KG1 with a struck 5 then 20, one star and 18,4 on the lower barrel near the mono block

Bluing is Excellent+ and very deep, barrel is a high polish finish. No dents or dings, just normal marks that accumulate over the years of careful handling and shooting.

This seems like a very special barrel, a terrific piece. I have not seen another one like it - the DB81 barrels with side ribs pop up now and then.
I have bought and sold numerous guns, barrels and odds & ends on this forum. My previous call sign was 'anchorsteam', but I was gone off the web for so long that I forgot my password, so I simply changed out my call sign! I am a casual, occasional Trap shooter - but might be interested in trading for a comparable condition Type IV Unsingle barrel, preferably with adjustable rib.

My cell is 703-309-4967 in case you are seriously interested and want to talk about this fine barrel.

p38_2013_1711.jpg

p38_2013_17111.jpg

p38_2013_17112.jpg

p38_2013_17113.jpg

p38_2013_17114.jpg

p38_2013_17115.jpg

p38_2013_17116.jpg

p38_2013_17117.jpg

p38_2013_17118.jpg

p38_2013_17119.jpg

·
Registered
823 Posts
Looks like a DB81 rib side profile, parallel rib though. 13.5 mm is DB81 spec?

Weird.

And MX1 and MX2 had inverted firing order choking, the MX2L in my hand has a different rib profile.

Maybe graded SC3, so it's special order.

Nice, and something different.

Regards, GAP

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I measured the rib from the top of the top barrel and the distance to the top of the rib - it's right at 13mm. Should it be measured from another point? My rib does not look quite as tall as the DB81 barrel listed on the Forum.

p38_2013_17116.jpg

p38_2013_171120.jpg

p38_2013_171121.jpg

·
Registered
584 Posts
This barrel originally fired top (two stars-IM)/bottom (one star-XF). It appears to be MX2L as stated by others.

·
Registered
823 Posts
So it's closest to an MX2L. Same rib height as an MX2L. So early MX2L?

Same rib profile as the MX1, yet parallel. Has anyone seen another barrel rib like this? The MX2L I have here is the same year (AI) and within a thousand S/N range, yet with a heavier rib at the monobloc and muzzle ends.

These are great barrels, guys. Plus Brileys!

·
Vendor
2,097 Posts
I think the same barrel configuration was also used on the Grand American 88 gun.

A lightweight barrel, people really liked them for doubles.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Let's clear this up once and for all, what you have is an MX2L Barrel. From looking at the pictures it is a 8.2mm Ramped/Non Tapered Rib with NO Side Ribs. If it is Ramped/Tapered with no Side Ribs it would be an early MX1, but from looking at the pictures it is definately not a DB81. These are not the same Barrels as a Grand American 88. The GA88 came with the same Barrels as an MX3 Special which was a 6.4mm Ramped/Tapered Non Side Rib Barrel. It was close but still a different configuration.

Please change your original post and heading to a MX2L as this is not a DB81.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rich - thanks for the info. I sent the photos to the good folks at Giacomo - based on the wide ranging opinions on what it is, I'll re-title based on their input.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
IIRC Mr. Bullard had a similar barrel for sale not all that long ago. I've also seen several on the auction sites. so maybe not so "rare".

What is "rare" would be one that had not been mutilated. In fact even entire guns that have been spared the cutting are not common. In the last 2-3 years I think I've only seen a couple that have not been "fixed up". I was unfortunately late on those. Well, maybe someday ...............

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...the web article said 'rare' - you believe the web, right? Just like folks believe everything they hear on TS.com:^)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I will buy this barrel. I will send you a PM with my contact information.
Regards
Gary Waalkes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts