Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're as old as I am...you may recall when the Browning BT-99 was first introduced and dominated the trap fields. An SBT with a 34" fixed full choke barrel that served no other purpose other than smoking targets. First introduced in 1968, the BT-99 quickly became known as the "Poor Man's Perazzi". Although they are still in production today, the early 1970's editions with the wide flat "beaver tail" forearms are considered better built and often fetch two to three times their original MSRP in today's used gun market.

This particular BT-99 comes with a PULL trigger and the SCHWAB RELEASE TRIGGER components, which is a rather expensive alteration to the trigger assembly.

If you've been looking for one of these classics for your collection or wish you never had sold the one you had (like I did!) here's your chance to own a legend...

March 17th update...the release trigger mechanism has been removed but will be included with the purchase of this BT-99. The trigger pull is smooth as silk and functions flawlessly. The release components can be reinstalled, if so desired and will ship either way.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Classic Browning BT-99

14" LOP over Original Browning Logo recoil pad

PULL OR Release Trigger

Straight Interntional style Trap Stock with flat/wide Beavertail Forearm

Fixed FULL choke...original unmolested bore & choke

Locks up tight...with no galling on metal

100% original...all matching serial numbers...No. 72d1XXXX

Original Browning break down case (AA shells not included)

$995.00 shipped to your FFL

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Test fire Report...Sunday, March 6, 2011

It didn't take long to find the sweet spot...dropped a couple easy straight away targets in first round trying to get used to the RELEASE trigger but BADA-BING!!!

Second Round was ASHES to ASHES DUST to DUST!!! 25 Straight like breaking sticks!

It was like riding a bike...makes me wonder why I spent all that money on those P-guns, B-guns, K-guns and Z-guns since I let my BT-99 slip away...please don't tell my wife!!!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay Jerry,

I just cleaned and reassembled her, here's the scoop...

As mentioned earlier, the pad is the Original Browning OEM right down to the slotted screws.

The RELEASE TRIGGER is a SCHWAB conversion...very nicely done. Springs and assembly look real good...no corrosion or gunk build up...must have been recently serviced.

I can't measure the pull or release accurately, but I can tell you that the trigger is smooth as silk and functions as well as any release I've shot.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The SCHWAB RELEASE TRIGGER components have been removed and the BT-99 has been returned to it's original PULL trigger configuration. All the SCHWAB RELEASE parts are included with the purchase of this gun and it will ship with or without the release components installed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Joe,
I have a BT99 that looks like the twin brother to the one you have. I'm pretty green re these guns, can you tell me by my serial number when mine was made; 70D03933? I like that case a lot, just in case you decide to seperate the package.
Mark

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark,

Based on your serial number, I'd say your gun was made in 1970.

These old classics are made like tanks and shoot as well as anything on the market. I've been shooting this particular gun for the last few weeks and it makes me wonder why I have it up for sale.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Joe,
Thanks for the input on the date. I thought that might be the case based on the number prefix. I bought this gun a few years ago and was doing pretty well with it. The problem came about when my grandson asked to try it, he was 13, and it fit him real well. He has claimed the gun and does real well with it, all the way to the 27 yard line. Keep me in mind if you break up the package.
Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bo,

That's actually a very interesting question because the LOP on this BT-99 is only 14 1/4" and I normally shoot 14 1/2" to 14 5/8" with an adjustable comb and Soft Touch or RAD recoil system.

I don't get any cheek slap and the recoil is remarkably soft especially considering the gun still has the original Browning recoil pad on it! The barrel is a fixed full choke that obliterates targets from 16 yards all the way back to the fence.

The only modification I've done to the gun is adding a GREEN light pipe sight.

I'm having fun with it because I've shot it so well and it cost so little!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.