Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which shotgun shell primer have you found to be the most sensitive. In other words, if you had a gun that was striking the primer lightly, what primer would you prefer?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would try Win209 or STS209, as they have brass cups.

Fed209A, Nobel209, and Cheddite shot shell primers have steel cups.

Michael

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
As per nebs, check your hammer spring, that's the 1st place I'd check. That said I can't afford Rem primers anymore and have had too many duds with Win, Feds no problems, so have currently switched to American Target (Cheddite I think, as they say made in France) Still like Feds too. Haven't had light strike problems with my pump, SBTs yes--- pumps no.

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
One thing I can say is no one has any information on which primer has the softest metal on the strike face. Whether it's brass or steel, it has no bearing on the question as both can be made harder or softer with alloying. They all are about the same. Suck it up and replace the spring.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Why are you asking this? I base my primer purchasing decisions on price, performance, and flexibility. Do you have an issue with your gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Brass cup much softer than steel ones, Have an old fox pre WW 1 with weak springs, and the Win would always work on the first try, while others are iffy even when struck two sometimes three times. Good luck
Aloha

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Brass cup much softer than steel ones, Have an old fox pre WW 1 with weak springs, and the Win would always work on the first try, while others are iffy even when struck two sometimes three times. Good luck
Aloha
I guess if you say it's so, then it must be true.

·
Registered
934 Posts
One thing I can say is no one has any information on which primer has the softest metal on the strike face. Whether it's brass or steel, it has no bearing on the question as both can be made harder or softer with alloying. They all are about the same.
I guess if you say it's so, then it must be true.

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Not a metallurgist so would not really know if they were made of copper, aluminum or jell-o, but again Winchesters go boom when trigger is pulled, others, not so much. Read what you want out of it, only trying to help. Happy Hanukkah.
Aloha

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Not a metallurgist so would not really know if they were made of copper, aluminum or jell-o, but again Winchesters go boom when trigger is pulled, others, not so much. Read what you want out of it, only trying to help. Happy Hanukkah.
Aloha
I'm not a metallurgist either but the answer to the OP's question calls for the expertise of one. And you guys with the weak springs should stop trying to solve that problem by looking for primers with strike faces that are softer than others. And the answer to that question does not depend on whether the strike face is made of ferrous or non-ferrous metal as both can be made as hard or as soft as one likes.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I get the shallowest primer strikes with CCI and Federal. Have some Remmie 209's, but hesitate to use them. Winchester is middle of the road, but no misfires in any of my guns.

The deepest strikes in my Blaser and two Beretta O/U's come with Rio primers. Cheddite also seems to have deep firing pin strikes. Nobel is fairly shallow, with the occasional misfire. No more of them after the one case I have is gone.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I only use one primer in all my gauges,

Can I ask what brand gun is producing the light strikes?

DGH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts