Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for both, reloading advice and factory loads! Any suggestions? What about AA lite? Anything cheaper?

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My son (who has developed a horrible flinch) tried a box of loads given to him by the best trapshooter at our club. My son did not flinch a bit and scores shot up.

He told me it was remington sts primers, 14.2g of 700x, claybuster wad, 7/8oz of shot all in an STS shell. I cannot find any data on his load anywhere!

Was just wondering. For now what would be closest to this recipe I can buy off the shelf until I gat the reloader set up.

I was looking at the following items:
Win. AA xtra light with 7/8oz shot - 980fps
Win. AA xtra light with 1oz. shot - 1180fps
B&P competition one with 7/8oz shot - 1160fps

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
The AA's are pretty expensive. Try to find the Nobelsport LR1 in 7/8 ounces.
Breaks targets with very little recoil, and you should find them for $50 to
$55 a flat.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Go on line and look at the Winchester loads. With the WWlite powder you have a lot of options. I use it for my grandkids and I like it. The Federal Super lite is nice but hard to find. Both manufactures get there different ways. So you have some options in factory loads. I've not used the Remington loads.

Good luck,
Ajax

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Winchester makes a load called 'feather light' - very small payload (26 gram?) and very light recoil. Velocity is around 950 fps.

Here are recipes to replicate the load (haven't tried any of them, so use at your own risk).

Winchester 12-ga. 2 3/4" AA hull (old style)

Winchester 209 primer

Winchester WAA12L (gray) wad

14.2 grains Alliant American Select

26 grams (401 grains) of hard shot.

-

Winchester AA hull - Feather Lite

26 grams of lead shot (about 15/16 ounces)

12 grains of WAA Lite Powder

Win. 209 Primer

WAA12SL Wad

·
Registered
257 Posts
15 gr Extra Lite, Rem hull, cheddite primer, CB lightning wads, 7/8 oz 8.5 shot. Soft, clean, economical and consistent load for me. J.Terre

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've shot a lot of 7/8oz for singles and doubles with excellent results. I've been loading STS Remington,7/8oz #8 shot, claybuster CB-0178 gray Winchester style wads with 17.2 grains of clay dot and a cheddite primer. Been a very nice load for me over the years. Should be running around 1180fps. Light recoil and smacks targets right in the mouth. I've also just started messing with a 3/4oz CB 0175 Winchester style wad and 16.7gr of claydot same everything else. That is about 1300fps. I shot a box of them at singles and wasn't very impressed but they seem to boil the first shot of doubles really well and the recoil is so minimal that it enables you to recover quicker for the second shot but the jury is still out on that. I am trying out 15.4 grains of Extra Lite in the same 7/8oz shell this weekend which is suppose to be 1200fps, that's suppose to be a nice load and a 16.0 grain drop for the 3/4oz for 1300fps.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Take a look at the new Claybuster 3/4 oz wads. Claybuster packs reloading information with the wads that includes several 3/4 oz loads @ 1200 fps using Extra-Lite, Red Dot and Clay Dot. They are about as low recoil as you will find in an effective 12 ga load.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Look at the data for loads with Fed hulls. there's some very low pressure, low velocity loads there.

Trail

·
Registered
647 Posts
Go for a 7/8 oz load with either AA lite or Extralite powder at 1200 fps or a bit more. I've had good experience with these. Slower burning powders tend to give inconsistent velocities and patterns unless you drive them at about 1300 fps and those are not soft shooting in my book.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Mine also, 7/8 oz 8 1/2's, alliant extra lite 15.5 gr, downrangemfg drxxl wad or cb0178 wad, remington hull, winchester or sts primer at 1200 fps... very soft enough...

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
My arthritis makes for pain IN my shoulder after shooting so for years, I've loaded an ounce of shot over 19.0 grains of PB with a Windjammer wad and a Remington 209 primer in STS hulls. It chronographs at 1,130fps, shoots soft but still breaks targets hard.

Ed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.