Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loading 20 gauge target loads for years using 14.0 of Hodgdon international powder and 7/8 of 8 1/2'. Other than dropping to 3/4 oz loads does anyone have any other suggestions of softening the recoil? I also have Alliant 20/28 powder as a substitute powder.

My lefty 870 is kicking more than my Rem 1100 target gun with 1 oz loads, I want to level the recoil to match on both guns.

SM

·
Registered
14,100 Posts
Lower the shot charge, or lower the velocity. Those are your only two choices.

International Clays is also far from the best choice for a 7/8oz 20ga load.

·
Registered
647 Posts
So far as the load, skeet nailed it. The only other thing I could think of would be add weight to your 870.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Since in your 870 you are not relying on the shells to cycle the action, you can reduce powder charge, hence velocity as much as you need to "match" the recoil of the 1100. Obviously, you don't want to drop the pressure so much you have hangfires or other issues; but you probably won't have to go down that far. You can choose the fastest burning powder that is published as safe with your components and load it light. Personally, I went to 3/4 oz loads in my 870LW and love them. -Ed

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gotta agree with dropping down to 3/4 ounce of shot. I use 11.5-12 grs. of International Clays and the lime green 3/4 ounce wad from Claybuster for my fix. Give it a try.

Ernie....in AZ

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
For the same loads, the 1100 will always feel a bit softer than the locked breech 870. The recoil forces are the same (assuming the guns weigh the same), but the gas action 1100 spreads those forces over a bit more time. To reduce recoil (1) reduce your shot velocity, or (2) reduce your shot weight, or (3) add weight to your shotgun, or (4) do all of these. A proper fitting shotgun will also provide less perceived recoil.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Add some weight to the guns. Stock bolt hole is a good spot for a tube(pvc will work) filled with lead shot.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
There is some Super Handicap powder available now and it makes a nice 1100fps 7/8oz. load that shoots soft.
See data on Hodgdon website.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I have a buddy loading 12.5 grains of green dot in a 20 gauge AA hull for the neighbors daughter. 7/8 oz of shot and boy does she smile !!! Almost zero recoil out of her Mossberg youth pump.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Try Alliant Unique powder. I use it for my 20 ga loads. W209 primers, 14.5 grains for 3/4 ounce 15.0 grains for 7/8 ounce, claybuster lime green 3/4 oz wads and white 7/8 oz wads in a REM Gun Club hull. Works great for me.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,828 Posts
I will second the 12 grains of International Clays behind 3/4 ounce of shot with a CB-1075-20 wad. Nice soft load. Should be around 1150 fps.

Reactions: hose 'em down

·
Registered
250 Posts
I loaded some 10 grains of green dot 3/4 oz fed hull win primer for my 10 year old they worked fine. Going to chorograph broke the target good. I shot some to in a youth mossburg pump no recoll.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts