Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What powder- wad combination do you consider the softest recoil for one ounce at app 1150 ft per sec thanks poppy5

·
Registered
99 Posts
I played around with this a few years ago due to a neck injury. Tried several different wads with SR7625. The loads using Claybuster's Lightning wad were noticably softer on the shoulder. I later called Claybuster and they agreed the lightning wad was the softest shooter in their lineup.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
That Lightning wad (CB4100) can cover a broad spectrum of uses. Although it is marketed as a 7/8 or 1-ounce wad, its shot cup is the same depth as a 1-1/8 wad. And it seals well in straight-wall hulls as well as tapered ones. You have to be careful using it with heavy charges of high-density powders, as it is longer than a typical 1-1/8 wad. I had a informative telephone conversation a few years ago with the founder and then-owner of Claybuster Wads during which he told me that it was his favorite and most-used wad of their entire line.

Ed

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
When it comes to recoil, what powder and wad you use are largely irrelevant, in my opinion.

If you truly have 1 ounce of shot, and it is truly going 1150 fps, you won't be able to tell one combination from another.

Others may have different opinions.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
While some powders may have recoil that is less sharp I agree with Timb99 actual felt recoil is a matter of physics and if you want to lessen it you should consider a recoil reducer or automatic which mechanically dampens recoil.Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.