Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story: I moved from a good hunting and shooting state where I had a house with a basement with a full reloading setup. Shotgun, rifle pistol...I was all set, had all the extras. Did a lot of reloading.

I moved to a not much hunting state and not many good ranges to a state where almost no house has a basement. So I sold my entire setup before I moved.

Now, after a decade, I'm back. Good hunting, nice shotgun/rifle/pistol range 5 miles away. I could get back into reloading. I am semi-retired but it seems I got busier after I "retired". I'm wondering how the $ vs time equation works out.

Here's the question: with almost all the components higher priced and in short supply, is it worth it now to reload? I rarely shoot clays competitively but I do enjoy it. Shot a mixed 10 rounds yesterday. So I'm OK with the manufacturer el cheapo soft shot practice loads in 12 & 20. These can be had in my area for 22-24 cents a round. Usually a bit under $6 a box.

So what does it cost now to load a box of practice trap/skeet loads? Is it worth the time it takes (with a MEC 650) or is it really only worth it if you are loading quality loads?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
So what does it cost now to load a box of practice trap/skeet loads?
A lot of this depends on where and how you buy your components. Buying in bulk is almost always cheaper and gets you a better price per box than buying components at, for example, Cabela's.

Is it worth the time it takes (with a MEC 650)
It depends on how much you shoot. If you are an occasional shooter, maybe. I reload with a progressive press, and I can do 300 - 400 shells in an hour on a good day. With a single stage...it takes forever.

or is it really only worth it if you are loading quality loads?
These days it's really hard to get hard shot, and hard shot is what is the primary difference between economy shells and premium shells.

A lot of the answer to this is, "do you view reloading as a cost-saving endeavor, or a sub-hobby of your shooting hobby?"

If you're ONLY doing it to save money, don't.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the moment, it'd be a cost saving endeavor. It USED to be a sub-hobby a decade ago. I enjoyed tweaking rifle/pistol loads for max accuracy, etc. Loading shotshells for hunting and hobby skeet/trap was just kind of relaxing. Had a lot of fun trying to get good patterning, high velocity pheasant loads too.

Now, I'd have to re-purchase all the gear. Probably 2 good progressive loaders, scale, the whole schmear.

I'm having a hard time seeing it as cost-effective in today's environment even though bulk purchase isn't a problem.

On top of that...I seem busier than when I lived here before and was working. Time is probably an issue.

So...maybe just bulk purchase el cheapo promo loads and just enjoy shooting them up.

Thanks for the input. It confirms what I was thinking. Figured folks around here would know definitively.

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
Next to shooting, its a great past time! Better then watching any pro-sport game, going shopping and watching paint dry!!

What is "effective" about reloading is giving me peace of mind!! While doing it, I don't think one minute about Demoncrats, Liberals, Bolsheviks and I am not getting my mind warped by watching news.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Like Tim Says,,
Especially since you will need to get presses again,

Might take you some time and get some deals on some equipment but to go and buy all new today?

I would not

DGH

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I enjoy reloading. The next time I buy shot I’ll figure the price cost per box roughly. But I feel my reloads are better than any promotional loads going. My reloads with the components I use are right there with a factory AA. I have to be less than a factory but pretty close. If I miss a target it’s not the shells fault.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
But the more I think about it to brag (so to speak) about my reloads being that great does not hold up to a real lot because I’ve seen some good 16 yd. scores shot with the cheap Wally World Winchester Specials. More the shooter than the shell? I do believe the harder shot means something and comes into play when you shoot handicap and sporting targets.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree that for 12 and 20 it is probably not cost effective, ASSUMING you can actually get the ammo you want. No Gun Club, Premier nor AA in 20 Ga from CAC last time we ordered.....

If you ever want to shoot 410 or 28 in volume, or non standard loads (I shoot a lot of 3\4 oz 12 ga- where am I going to buy that for 4.40 a box- my cost) reloading is something to look closely at.

The advice about bulk components buying is spot on. You'll spend way more buying at a Bass Pro or something similar. I look for group orders or go to a big shoot and hit the vendors there.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
So...maybe just bulk purchase el cheapo promo loads and just enjoy shooting them up.
If you shoot long yardage handicap, buy premium ammo like Winchester AA and Remington STS. Aguila lately has been top notch too.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Right now you can buy Federal 4 packs at Walmart for $19.56 a pack. 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 or 8 shot. For practice and skeet/sporting it should be better than enough. Hard to beat that price. I can reload for a little less but mainly shoot 1 ounce stuff so much cheaper. I enjoy it as a sub hobby too. Components are hit and miss now. Used loaders can be had cheap. Single stage stuff for $50 or so and say a 650 for $100 or therabouts. JMO Colonel

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm cheaper that most so I load 7/8 ounce #8, (Lawrence), for about $4.70 a box. I use them for 16 yd., 20 yd. handicap and the first shot of doubles, and sometimes both shots in doubles. They're fast and soft shooting in my KX6 special. I have both the MEC 650 and a Hornady 366, both will handle my needs nicely, 200 - 400 targets per week.
I load because I can have exactly what I want, hard shot at a good price. Premium shells are probably a buck more..

·
Registered
722 Posts
Buying components in bulk and on sale is a major cost savings. Currently, I save a minimum of .50 a box, if not more, reloading my own. Free, once shot hulls can be found at virtually every gun club. If I really have a need for premium shells for long yardage handicap targets, I'll buy some Nitro, STS, AA, or Aguila shells. They're all good. Premium shot, Remington STS, is very difficult to find, and if one does locate some, it's usually very expensive, making reloading it somewhat dubious. For everyday shooting, over the course of time, I feel I've saved considerable money reloading. Plus, on a hot summer or cold winter day, when there isn't much else going on, I find it relaxing and enjoyable. I also like being able to change recipes using the powder manufacturers websites. I see no reason to go away from it inasmuch as I have the time and find satisfaction in making my own shells. For the most part, they perform every bit as well as those that a person can buy.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I reload and prefer my reloads to bargain shells since I know and prefer the speed and patterning capabilities of my reloads. It usually cost me $4.75 - $5.25 per box for my reloads which is similar to the bargain shells. There are some savings for shells I use for handicap as compared to the $7 -$9 paid for premium handicap shells which I sometimes buy during rebates to ensure quality hulls. I also enjoy the reloading. Usually shop once or twice per year for the 60 bags of shot, 24-32 lbs of powder and 20k primers and wads needed for the 20,000+ rounds I might shoot during a year.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As you know from reloading before most of us that still reload do it for the enjoyment more than to save money. On those days that you can not get out to shoot that's when i reload and riminess about the days gone by.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
How is anything related to shooting ever "cost effective"?

If you want to reload you can make the math come out that way. If you want to prove that reloader are crazy you can make the math come out that way also.

The important thing to consider for reloading is do you want to do it? And do you have the space? Cost is just a weak argument one way or the other to justify what you wanted to do.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Short story: I moved from a good hunting and shooting state where I had a house with a basement with a full reloading setup. Shotgun, rifle pistol...I was all set, had all the extras. Did a lot of reloading.

I moved to a not much hunting state and not many good ranges to a state where almost no house has a basement. So I sold my entire setup before I moved.

Now, after a decade, I'm back. Good hunting, nice shotgun/rifle/pistol range 5 miles away. I could get back into reloading. I am semi-retired but it seems I got busier after I "retired". I'm wondering how the $ vs time equation works out.

Here's the question: with almost all the components higher priced and in short supply, is it worth it now to reload? I rarely shoot clays competitively but I do enjoy it. Shot a mixed 10 rounds yesterday. So I'm OK with the manufacturer el cheapo soft shot practice loads in 12 & 20. These can be had in my area for 22-24 cents a round. Usually a bit under $6 a box.

So what does it cost now to load a box of practice trap/skeet loads? Is it worth the time it takes (with a MEC 650) or is it really only worth it if you are loading quality loads?

Thanks in advance.
Only you can determine the value of your time.I sold mine for years and now I can use it as I see fit. There should be a number of discussions on the bottom of this thread that will help you decide.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
I am somewhat concerned about target shell availability. I plan on shooting a mix of factory and reloads.

I would guess factory ammunition will increase in price in the future as the days of $5.50 a box Estate SuperSports and free shipping over $25 at Academy are likely coming to a close. I wouldn't mind being wrong!

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
I buy my components in large lots to save cash. I am reloading a box of one oz. 12 ga. shells for about $4.60 a box, w/tax. If I factored in my time at 10 bucks a hour? I would be better off buying new economy shells. Yes, I can sort my hulls (check for splits on sides) and box a hundred shells in a 1/2 hour on a Mec Grabber. I would stay away from the 650 as it does not resize your hulls. Sooner or later this will become a problem. A used Grabber should run about $250 in nice shape. Maybe less? Now what you can buy components for around your neck of the woods, I have no idea. I have to buy about $1,000 worth of components at a time to get my prices like this. Its up to you if you want to layout that much cash at one time. If you buy your components at Bass Pro Shops or Cabala's. You will save little to nothing on your reloading.

You can buy new Walmart shells for $22 a 4 pack. That's $5.50 a box. With tax that runs me about $5.89 a box. There on sale right now for $19.56. For how much longer? Nobody knows? So new shells are $5,89 a box, compared to $4.60 a box. Add about $1.25 per box at a $10 per hour labor. My loads come out to $5.85 per box. IMO my reloads are better than the Walmart 4 packs. My shot is has about 4% antimony, while the Walmart shells are about 2% antimony. Not much difference in cost when you add $10 a hour labor. My Lawrence Brand shot is about twice as good. Not its not 3 times as good anymore, like it used to be. sigh. Where you have to go to get your reloading supplies is also a huge factor. If you have to drive a long way? Then, You have to buy supplies for a whole year at a time. This is a huge outlay of cash for many people. I hope this response makes it easier for you to decide what you should do. IMO, you should forgetaboutreloadingyourownshells!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget to break em all jeff

So in conclusion

·
Registered
118 Posts
I reload because I enjoy it. I reload because I like low recoil loads. I reload because I don't want to have to go to to the store and have to settle for what ever is on the shelf. I reload because I can create a good shell. Save money?? Not really.

·
Registered
543 Posts
When I sold components I marked everything at the same low price whether you bought 1 bag of wads of a case, 1000 primers or 5000 or a bag or 2 of shot os a ton. I could not justify charging more if a customer bought less quantity.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts