Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to watch the weather. DirecTV. Snowing so hard that the signal went away. Guess I'll have to switch to cable or Netflix. Neither of which have as good of a HD signal.

Don T

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I've got Dish Network and have had it for over 8 years. Mine has never went out do to snow. We had two decent snows within the last two months of 14" and 10". If your dish is easily accessible, you may check to make sure there is no snow build up between the Dish and Transponder. Now I have had complete signal loss during the extreme Thunderstorms/Tornado weather we get routinely in the Spring and Summer. At that point I didn't care as I was in the basement listening to my weather radio and praying the house stayed put. As a side note, you may check to make sure your dish hasn't moved slightly. If the dish moved the signal strength will be weaker causing you to lose your signal easier.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snow falls on the LNB arm and bloop, gone goblin. Thing is on the roof to see around neighbor's stuff and the only way I can get to it is with a high pressure nozzle on a hose. Not a lot of point hosing it with another 12 - 14 hours of moderate/heavy snow to come. Urban wasteland sometimes. No clear skyshot and the satellite for DISH is right through my neighbor's 3 story house so not an option. When I win the lottery I will buy up all these houses and raze then to rubble and salt the stones. HeH.

Don T

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Whereabouts you live Don? In my area of NE Maryland we still got about 5" or so on the ground..we had over a ft with 2 storms back to back ...its hilarious to watch the news from the Carolinas south...an inch of snow that crusts underneath into ice and they start bouncing off guardrails and each other like the Keystone cops

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
My dish is attached to the south wall of our home...snow gets stuck on it every blizzard...but it's right outside a window so it's easy to clean...

Ron Burr

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was stationed at Bainbridge MD in '61-62. It seemed that every time that there were two snowflakes in the air at the same time the state went right into panic mode. Schools closed, workplaces, Bainbridge and Aberdeen Proving Grounds closed. You had to have snowtires or chains on the main roads, it was all hilarious to us guys from the northern states.

ctreay

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I was told by a friend that you can put a plastic trash bag over the dish. He says it will not block the signal and the snow will just fall off. With our lack of snow this year(Southern Idaho), I haven't tried it yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts