Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
The season is open about 10 months out of the year and hunting is fantastic from weat Texas thru southern Illinois, Northwest missouri, southwest Iowa, central nebraska, and back through south and North dakota. We hunt southwest iowa with Zarse outdoors and flatland outfitters. Kip and Allen are the owners of their respective businesses and are by far the coolest guides you will find. The amount of geese you kill will depend on the skill of the guide you choose and the timing of you trip. We have killed anywhere between 75 and 266 in 2 days.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I should add that we hunt SW Iowa around the 10th of march, some years its the beginning of the migration, some years it the end of the migration some years its the highest point of the migration. The best luck we have had is from the midpoint of the migration to the end, as that is mostly juvenile birds. the adult birds are very wary after being shot at for 9 months straight. The juveniles will fall into your lap as where the adults can be a challenge to decoy.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Going to Dexter Missouri the 19th for first snow goose hunt. We are going to make jerkey out of them. They say that it makes good jerkey. Tom

·
Registered
764 Posts
Jerky, summer sausage, we donated some to a church one year, also have donated them to a wildlife display for food for the meat eaters.

·
Vendor
7,222 Posts
hot spot for nw mo-- mound city near the SQUAW CREEK Nat REFUGE
1.5 mil geese was the high count last year!!

if you need contacts for guides, id be happy to help w/ names

wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst ( i've near md city for 30 years)

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Came across an article just yesterday about snow-goose

------------

Are loose hunting regs reducing snow-goose population? Not at all

Hunting snow geese requires so much work and the birds are so wary that despite the loosened restrictions of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's conservation order, hunters aren't putting much of a dent into the population, according to Mike Checkett with Ducks Unlimited.

"The initial years of the conservation order had some great success," he said. "The biologists were estimating we'd need to kill about 1.4 million geese every year for several successive years. Tie that in with some tough breeding conditions, and that would maybe start to get the population in line.

"There was a lot of effort initially by hunters because of the new opportunity, but that's kind of settled down a little bit. I don't think they've been hitting that (1.4-million-bird) target."

Even when hunters have a seemingly successful year and knock back the population, the birds are so prolific that they come back strong in almost no time, Checkett said.

"You think of the numbers of geese out there now, and if they have the right conditions on the breeding grounds, they can be very successful and have a lot of young, so you can see some rapid growth," he said. "We want to avoid seeing some kind of environmental crash from these birds. The first choice is to let hunters have the opportunity."

Successfully harvesting snow geese has become a game of cat and mouse with both the birds and the hunters improving their game, according to Checkett.

"In places, the effort has really picked up. There are guys who snow-goose hunt now who never did before," he said. "I think guys are getting better at it. The geese are getting smarter, though. The old Texas rag spreads don't work quite as well as they did in the past. You need full-body decoys and SilloSocks, as well as the right conditions."

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/02/are_loose_hunting_regs_reducin.html

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've guided goose hunts in Canada and US for over 25 years. Extending the snow season has had the opposite effect of what was desired. In Saskatchewan it didn't take much effort to kill a couple hundred snows in a morning. These days, killing 50 is a good day even though there are more. And we spend more effort and time into the hunts now than we used to.

Hunting these birds 10 months a year never gives them a chance to lose their fears and they are unbelievable difficult to decoy now.

It's unfortunate that the wheels of adaptation move so slowly.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
In Maryland the season is pretty much open on these critters from Oct to Apr.

In for much of the season there is no bag limits, no plug requirements for your gun, and you can use electronic calls. Think they want some killed? LOL

I don't hunt them...around here it takes a lot of scouting and really big rig of decoys. Put that on top of I don't eat them and the result is we don't hunt them.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
There is a large flock of greater snow geese that migrates to and winters over on the DelMarVa peninsula.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Lots of geese in Arkansas. I had some jerkey a few years back and dam near gagged!!! Thanks but no thanks unless the cook is FAR BETTER that what I had!!!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I would recommend Fulton County Ill. I don't hunt myself but our former Sheriff does guiding here and in Missouri. His name is Dan Daly and lives in Cuba Il. 309-785-3581. My name is Dave Promen, Canton, Il. Hopes this helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Arkansas, Hoot Gibson owns Goosebusters. We shot 55 yesterday. About impossible to do it yourself. You need about 2800 silo sock decoys and they are $5 each. Plus permission to hunt the land where they are located. That is important! Also, how about the time and fuel that local guides burn to get you in the best possible location to shoot geese. Goosebusters has been good to us for over 10 years! call them because their guides do this for a living!

·
Registered
764 Posts
The guides we hunt with hunt over 4500 decoys and half are full body decoys. One of the guides used to own flatland decoy company, he was the first decoy company to roto-mold a full body snow goose decoy. If conditions are right they decoy very well, if the decoys have a bit of frost on them you may as well stay in bed, they are a wary bird to say the least.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I would go on a snow goose hunt with one of the guides recommended above. If you then really want a snow goose hunting adventure hunt the snow geese on Hudson Bay. Drove from southeast Tennessee to Thompson, Manitoba, then took a 13-hour train ride to Churchill on Hudson Bay. Then flew out to the hunting camp on Hudson Bay in a Dehavilland Beaver. Landed on a dirt path. You are then hunting where the birds return to nest each year. They are a lot less wary. You won't necessarily kill more geese but the total hunt is quite an adventure. You are also hunting in the land of the Polar Bear at a time when the Bay ice is melting and breaking up. The bears are coming to land for the summer. I only saw a bear at a long distance but one pile of bird carcasses was eaten up about two miles from the lodge one night. I did this in 2003 and it is a trip I will never forget. Normally people fly into Churchill to meet up with the guide but I wanted to see the whole area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts